Pietta 1851 BP Revolver Conversion Question

jetscrazy44

Inactive
I posted this elsewhere but didn't get a proper response: I was just wondering about the legality of modifying a black powder revolver to shoot cartridges (via a Kirst gated conversion cylinder) and if removing metal from the recoil shield to make room for loading is legal in New Jersey? Thanks for your help.

Just a thought. As the BP probably lacks a serial number, mine has none, converting it would make it illegal in NJ. But then, I think owning a squirt gun is illegal in NJ.

The problem you will run into is safety, over the type of steel used for the cylinder and barrel. Black powder creates much lower pressures than do smokeless, so a gun that will handle black powder, may end up with a ruptured cylinder, or burst barrel, when using smokeless. Unless you use BP cartridges. On top of that, is the legality with a registration and serial number.

Last edited:
That kind of question is rarely mentioned in legal summaries and really should be asked of a NJ attorney (not a police officer or your drinking buddies).

Jim

Well it has a serial number, transferred through an FFL with permit to purchase, FID, DL, etc. All bases covered, treated it like a handgun. Safety isn't a concern, hollow base cowboy action loads are to be used. Just wondering if it is legal, pretty sure it is because it would be converting it to a handgun, and its already registered.

This is more of a legal question. You'd probably be best served by querying a local cowboy action group, or in an NJ specific handgun owners forum. Or ask the retailer. If they're not legal, odds are they won't ship it.

Back