Pierced Primers?

provalov

Just bought a slightly used 357 Blackhawk Convertible. Took it to the range and tried out four loads: 9mm (w/the convertible cylinder), UMC 38spl, Win White box 38spl +p, and UMC 357mag.

All worked well, except that 20% of the casings in the UMC 38spl load had blackened primer impact points.

Couple of questions: Is this what a pierced primer looks like? Is it dangerous? If so, what could be causing it and how do I fix it?

Thanks.

Dangerous, yeah.
Check the nose of the firing pin for chiped place. Should be round and smooth.

Other stuff to check to come, I am sure.

Sam

What C.R.Sam said plus: Check you firing pin protrusion depth.

Possible combo of deep hitting firing pin and soft primers.

If this turns out to be the case, just stay away from that particular brand of ammo. And if you reload, I would use CCI primers for loads in this gun.

Thanks for the replies. I've checked the firing pin surface, and it looks OK. A local gun shop said that pierced primers are usually due to bad ammo rather than the gun. They suggested that the cause was probably soft primers and to try another lot of the same ammo. Haven't had a chance to check out their theory yet.

What are the dangers associated with pierced primers?

Possible very hot gasses in the face, or on your hands, if primer pierces badly.

Firing pin damage.

Broken firing pin if it sticks in the hole and you cock it again.

What Ben said plus , if it has frame mounted firing pin stuck in primer, gun is disabled. Can't get next shot if needed.

Sam

Back