PID Temp

I just ordered a PID and was wondering what folks have found that works temperature wise. I run cast iron, brass and aluminum molds. Mostly 4 cavity but have a couple of 6 cavity. I'm using a RCBS Pro-melt.

I'm guessing 700 should do it pretty well but seeing how my temperatures fluctuate at the present time I'm just wondering what works best.

Personally, I usually run 710-725° on my aluminum and brass, depending on how the mold is acting. I have a few single cav Ideals (steel) that I can cast down to 670° with. But I do tend to run em a little warm. I like just a touch of frost. Besides frost, the only drawback I find from running hot is that sometimes you'll get a bit of tinning right at the tips of the lube grooves on the mold face. 'Wipes off easy though when touched (still at casting temp) with a bit of wax and rubbed with a piece of denim or burlap.

I also prefer a light bit of frost so thanks for the starting point Beagle. :cool:

It will be about a two week wait on the PID but I'll post back some results I get when it arrives.

I find it depends on the molds and how they like, or take the heat. Also the bigger the holes in them and the more of them the less heat it takes to keep them up to temp and dropping nice clean bullets.

With most of my MP 4 cavity brass molds I run between 725 and 745 depending on the fall off from the pins. If they are a bit sticky I ease the temp up 5 or so degrees at a time until things start falling like rain.

With my aluminum molds usually around 680 for anything with a 4 in it and around 700 for the 357's. That is for the 6 bangers though. I have a couple of double cavity ones however I have to bump up to around 715 - 720'ish for them to stay hot and keep things rolling.

I don't run a fast cadence either, just nice and easy, pour, sprue cools, cut, dump and repeat. However long that takes is how long it takes, I don't rush things. I guess thats why I like the higher cavity count molds so much verses the double or (ughhh) single cavity ones.

Your starting point will be a good one, for you to get familiar with things. Once you do however, you will find yourself tweaking the temps. Be sure to take some notes while you do as well. It sure is nice to hit a sweet spot and dump 20# worth of bullets, but then come back several months later and not remember what temp you were at.

Thanks for the writeup Mike and advice will be well heeded. I will indeed take notes and try to become proficient with the new PID.

I also ordered a Lead hardness tester so this will be something else to retain notes on. I figure since I powder coat the lead hardness will be easier to stay in a ballpark figure since leading isn't quite the factor it used to be. I realize though, hardness is still key between running powder puff's and magnum loads. Although size is still King.

Back