Pickup tailgate shooting setup?

First,I am not a lawyer,and I do not know what I am talking about!!!
Second,I'm sure it varies state to state,

What constitutes "shooting from a vehicle" ?

Obviously,If I am inside the cab (in my state of Colorado) I'm in big trouble if I get caught shooting out my vehicle window.
In fact,having a round in the chamber of a long gun is a serious violation.

I think the law says "shooting from a vehicle"

I'm quite sure my friendly game warden would become unfriendly if "pheasant hunting" was conducted with shotgunners in the back of a pickup.(As it should be!!)

I suspect(depending on the state laws) parking the truck and using a bench rest in the back of the pickup to shoot prairie dogs might get you a violation,including "shooting from a vehicle"

To me,IMHO,that setup,shooting from the tailgate,seems to be just fine according to common sense,

But I suggest doing some research,and asking the local Sheriff or Game Warden if you are OK .

It would not surprise me if we could be arrested for resting the forend across the top frame tube of a bicycle.
Best to know first.
Another caution,shooting "on,about,or across any public road or hiway".That CAN apply to some two-track across the desert if it is a designated route.

Last edited:
In some states, merely leaning your gun loaded against a vehicle is a no-no as well, so know the law in your state

First things first: that is a pretty cool set-up.

Unfortunately, as I found out earlier this year, it's also absolutely illegal in AZ. I wasn't shooting from my vehicle; I'm just saying 'unfortunately,' because I think that's a neat idea.

However, the game and fish officer I spoke to in March said that shooting from a vehicle for the purposes of hunting, at all is illegal, and that earlier that day he had to cite some guys that had a 'turret' style set up in the back of their pick-up. He said it was most impressive prairie dog shooting set-up he'd ever seen, allowing the shooter to rotate 360 degrees and allowed for elevation/declination. But because it was in the back of the pick-up it was illegal; if it had been on the ground it would've been okay.

Which is why I use a set-up like this, when possible:

12805735_10208450849925968_4716773142785754824_n.jpg

However, if you're shooting at one of the designated desert shooting areas, such as the one off Table Mesa Rd., i.e., target shooting, then something like that is apparently legal. I see people shooting from their unmodified tailgates or over their hoods, or prone from their pick-up beds in front of park rangers/sheriffs' deputies all the time without repercussion.

Last edited:
I doubt a case against someone shooting a rig like that off of a tailgate would stand up in court. Shooting from a vehicle would probably entail the person actually in the vehicle, not a piece of wood on the tailgate. If such were the case, how about the guy that leans in next to his truck and leans on the mirror to shoot. Just wouldn't make sense...not even to an over zealous game warden or judge.

If such were the case, how about the guy that leans in next to his truck and leans on the mirror to shoot. Just wouldn't make sense...not even to an over zealous game warden or judge.

Depends on your jurisdiction. Where I live, using any part of the truck for a rest is shooting from the truck. It's designed to impede road hunters. I think it makes sense.

For a completely different "take" on it, I seldom want to shoot from a shooting bench that brags about its suspension qualities in its advertising.

I didn't see anywhere, where you mentioned hunting or shooting game animals from that set-up.

It looks OK to me. Assuming you are not on a public road, and all that. But I am sure it all depends on where you are when you are doing it. I have fired thousands and thousands of rounds using my pickup as a "bench". I mainly had sandbags on the rear fender rail of the bed and leaned against the side of the pickup and would jam my knee up against the inside of the wheel. I would spread out all my gear on the tailgate. I would be shooting at paper targets, not animals.

I suppose there are places where this might present a problem ? But if I was target shooting out in the desert I wouldn't worry about it. When I was doing this, I was out in the desert and the chances that someone, anyone, let alone a game warden or some law enforcement official might happen to wander by was an extremely remote possibility. I never considered the idea that it might not be legal. If this was illegal where I was doing it, I never heard about it.

Edit: I am trying to see if there is any law against this in the state where I lived at the time. I see (and knew) that it is illegal to shoot from a vehicle on a road, but so far can't find anything about using a vehicle as a rest when shooting off a road.

Last edited:
Back