picking mosin with good barrel need help.

Ultra12

i got an itch to get myself a mosin nagant and do some work ( like some members of this site) i understand that one of the most important things in picking a rifle that old is a good barrel. So my question is what should i look for and what to watch out for. I am new to guns and shooting ( 3 years ) so i am still learning and your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Unless the rifle comes from a private seller, most Mosins I come across are either seriously fouled and in need of a good cleaning or covered in cosmoline and in need a good cleaning. Some people avoid counterbored rifles, I don't really care. A matching bolt and receiver is always nice. I've seen pristine, original rifles that can't keep 5 rounds on the same target at 100 yards and I've seen refurbished, counterbored rifles shoot 2-3moa. Unless you pick up a Finnish M39, Mosin accuracy is a dice roll.

you mentioned counter bore. you can check counter bore looking from bolt side or barrel end?

A counterbored barrel has been drilled out at the muzzle. This was done, at a Soviet arsenal, to correct crowns worn down by poor cleaning habits. I've seen enough of 'em that I can tell just by looking but a quick way to verify is to run a straightened paperclip down the muzzle. If you hit a ridge about an inch in, it's been counterbored. Another quick way to check is with a standard Bic pen. The pen won't fit inside a barrel that hasn't been bored.

Last edited:
Unless the rifle comes from a private seller, most Mosins I come across are either seriously fouled and in need of a good cleaning

Yeah. Cleaning cosmo isn't a bad thing to me - that just means they cared enough to attempt to protect the rifle from the elements over time.

Ultra12, I got an M44 from a private seller but (they) only have M39s and antiques as of now. It is kinda a crapshoot but you can pay about $30 extra if you buy online for them to check for a good bore. Some cases it may be worth it but I would try and find one from a private seller also or a place where you can inspect the bore yourself. I saw a sewer-pipe bore 91/30 at Gander Mt. and I can not believe they were even allowed to shelf and tag it (About $160 :eek:)

I just ordered a hex reciever 91/30 from J&G Sales, we'll see how that goes. Places like that who allow people to post their reviews of a product are a good place to look too, however you are also presuming those individuals know what they are talking about :rolleyes: I've seen bad reviews of a good product and good reviews of a terrible product. Lol (but sad and not so funny).

C&R License?

You should try to get a C&R license - it'll save yourself a lot of money when you get more serious on surplus rifles. Check the link to see if you qualify. http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2005/howtogetyourcurionrelicffl03/index.asp

Then you can shop for some nice cheap Mosins at:
http://www.classicarms.us/firearms.htm
http://www.aimsurplus.com/catalog.aspx?groupid=12

I got my Mosin Nagant M38 (bottom rifle) from Big5 but now they only offer the M91/30. You can get Finnish M39 Mosin Nagants (the overall best accurate Mosins in unissued condition) at: http://www.gunsnammo.com/ Antique rifles in great condition only require a drivers license. I have one and its a beauty (middle rifle).

#20 Counterbored http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinFAQ.htm

counterbore.JPG

Ordering sight unseen is always a crapshoot. I've bought mine from pawnshops and gunshops...after inspecting them. I have seen some pretty good looking deals at some venders previously mentioned...and there are others too. If you see something you like, it might be a good idea to go on the 7.62x54r.net forum and ask about the vender. That MN site is the best I've found for Mosin Nagant info. Good luck.

My $0.02 worth - look for one made before the Great Patriotic War (WW-II) and check the muzzle to make sure the lands are not worn down (conscripts w/ steel cleaning rods are not the best thing for a rifle's health.) If it's counter-bored you should be ok - the counter-boring restores sharp lands at the "new" muzzle which is now .5" inside the barrel.

After that everything is up in the air. You can try other things like:

1. free floating the barrel (w/ strategically placed metal shims; sand down the barrel channel if you must)

2. bed the action - the Russians used oiled felt but some use bondo, or devcon (your rifle, do it your way [I just don't want to know about it])

3. do a trigger job - Mosin triggers are stupid-easy to lighten or smooth out w/ nothing more than brass/soda-can shims & Flitz and a polishing wheel chucked into a Dremel

4. put a pressure pad under the barrel - again, felt, cork, or what-have-you - if you're not happy w/ the free float

5. sort your ammo - experiment w/ .310, .311, & .312 and see which your rifle prefers. I recently sorted a box of milsurp and I had all 3 measurements within the first 5 rounds. (Yeah, your loved ones may worry a bit when they see you leaning over your boolits w/ a micrometer late into the evening, but it's the price you pay for smaller groups.)

6. Maybe replace the bolt's firing pin spring to decrease lock-time

Sometimes you'll come up with a dud rifle; sell it and get another.

Back