Picking A Gun Club

Itsa Bughunt

I'm new to this area, and there are a lot of ranges and clubs to choose from.
In the end it was the rules that made my choice easy, especially this one: Members only on the rifle and pistol ranges, but the public is welcome for shotgun and archery. Lots of pretty ladies doing archery, may have to get a bow.

I always try to see their side of the coin on various rules, but one like that really piques my curiosities. How does it benefit shooting to hinder the shooter's ability to bring new shooters into the sport? Or, could they mean "Members Only plus one or two guests"?

I belong to a private club here in Pennsylvania and the fact that the public cannot shoot there is the exact reason I joined

Over the years I've had several issues at the public ranges in my area including a kid pointing a loaded glock at my wife's head (clearing a jam) but it got ugly non the less

Around here private ranges are fairly cheap and are generally a safe and pleasant place to shoot

Most clubs will have their own specific rules but joining is not usually a hard process and reasonably priced.

My range is $40 to join and then $20 a year after that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

We have a lot of state run ranges (Indiana) the problems are we also have a lot of camp grounds . In the summer people drop off the kids at the range and go about whatever .

Itsa Bughunt, You must be member Pikes Peak gun club. Been long time since I was out there and they had Sporting Clay set up if they shot that it close the rifle range.

Here in southern Wisconsin a lot of private ranges cost $300 to join plus 10-30 hours of club service. If you don't serve then they charge you $10 per hour.

So I drive to McMiller the DNR owned company leased public range and shoot all day for $20.

I have no problem helping out at a club or even teaching/taking people hunting but the rules of beyond safety got to much.

http://www.mcmillersportcenter.com/

If anyone needs help finding a range the NSSF has a range finder.
http://wheretoshoot.org/Find_Range/

The NSSF, NRA, and other organizations only list the ranges that are affiliates. Most ranges do not have listings in the yellow pages so it can be hard to find a range close. I used to live in the south end of Seattle and the only range that was "open to the public" was the Renton Rod and Gun Club. It was less than an ideal place to shoot and the rules were constrictive. I found out about others by talking to the police and other shooters about two other clubs. The one closest to me was the Seattle Police Athletic Association (SPAA) or police range with a membership fee of $100. They had pistol, rifle (1 and 200 yard ranges) and a trap and skeet range. It was withing a five minute drive and a very good place to shoot. It was well maintained and you didn't have to load single rounds.
The other range was the Kenmore Range and it was an excellent facility with bow, rifle, and pistol ranges. You had to be a member to use the 300 yard range and you had to have permission to set up a chronograph but it was easy to get the permissions. The membership fee was high at $140 but it was a good price for the facility. The biggest hurdle was the travel. It was a good 50 mile round trip and there was no way to know what range might be closed due to special events. I belonged to both of these ranges but more often than not I was at the SPAA facility. I could stop in after work and practice and I did so often.

When I moved to the other side of the state I searched for nearby ranges. There was the Walla Walla gun club but it was for trap and skeet only. There was the Lowden Gun club that was in poor condition and had limited facilities. There was the East End Rod and Gun club that was across the state line in Oregon and another range further south in Pendleton. It turned out the the EERG club was a short 15 minute drive from my property and they had everything you could imagine up to 600 yards. Axe and knife throwing, archery, muzzle loading area, 7 pistol bays with two racks of falling plates, small bore / rim-fire and action range, a 25 to 600 yard rifle range and a five stand shotgun range. It was so much better than any others that I joined. I went down to shoot one afternoon and there was a building project going on. I felt compelled to lend a hand and helped put the cover over the rifle range and put in the permanent concrete benches too. I found out there was a monthly work day and joined in maintaining the range. I got to know the members and got invited to go through the RSO class and then got elected to the board. It is simply the best range (and getting better) in the area and the dues are $65 per year. I like the direction the range is going and I am helping that progress. It helped me get my Oregon CCP and gives me a great place to shoot.

Look around on the web, ask others who are shooters in the area and talk to the local police and county sheriff about places to shoot. Some are hard to find but you can usually find some that are close enough to provide choices.

I googled my area for for ranges with a distance I'd be willing to travel weekly. There are 4. One private and 3 public. The lowest fee was $200/year for pistol only.

The private range required a sponsor, club membership approval, and 8 hours of club work yearly. To use the range you had to qualify for each caliber up to the one you wanted to shoot. Each qualification is more $$$. So if you wanted to shoot 9mm, you would have to qualify for 22, 25, and 9mm just to shoot your 9. I didn't bother.

I went to the other 3 ranges, talked to the staff, and looked at how well the range was kept, ammo prices, how well it was stocked for gear, how busy it was, and shot at each one. I also checked to see if there were any reported injuries. I ended up at the most expensive range because it was the one I liked the best. We will see if it is the one I rejoin next year.

Back