Picked up this A.S.M. engraved, nickel, Sheriff's model yesterday

Bill Akins

I saw this .36 cal, nickel, engraved, Armi San Marcos (A.S.M.) Sheriff's model, with original Traditions box, patches, balls and caps, on the Florida gun trader. I called the owner who lives in my same city and picked it up in person for $130.00 yesterday. I think I got a real good deal since I've seen these go for $275.00 on other auctions. Seller said it had only had five shots thru it and I believe him what with its excellent condition and excellent rifling and clean cylinder and chambers. I wasn't aware that Traditions had carried A.S.M. (who is out of business) in the past and thought they only carried Pietta and perhaps Uberti (but not positive about them carrying Uberti). But since the serial # on the box matches the one on the revolver, it is the correct box to the gun. A.S.M. has been out of business for awhile, so this must be an old safe queen. Anyone have any idea how old it might be and how long it's been since Traditions carried A.S.M.? Haven't shot it yet. I don't find deals like this everyday. Got lucky. Here's the pics.....

20160225_160434.jpg

20160225_160426.jpg

20160225_160357_1.jpg

20160225_154328.jpg

20160225_154222.jpg

20160225_162326.jpg

Continued next post.....

Last edited:
At different times Traditions has sold Palmetto, ASM, Uberti and Pietta. Doesn't it have a date code on it?

Long time no see Bill! That's a great looking gun!! I saw one recently for sale but the deal fell through. Let us know how it shoots!
By the way, do you still upload videos on your youtube channel?

BlackPowderBen wrote: Long time no see Bill! That's a great looking gun!! I saw one recently for sale but the deal fell through. Let us know how it shoots!
By the way, do you still upload videos on your youtube channel?

Hi BP Ben. Just been busy and haven't been posting much. Glad you like the gun. It is a sweet little jewel. I'll let y'all know how it shoots when I get a chance to shoot it, hopefully soon. Occasionally I upload videos to my YouTube channel. Haven't done any lately. The last one was my special butt forward spin draw from the holster of my 1860 Pietta Colt clones.

Last edited:
Thanks Bishop Creek. I used to have that listing but lost it. Saved yours to my documents for later reference. Thanks again.

Thanks Gary, glad you like it. You know me, I like my BP revolvers shiny. Who was it....was it Hawg, or Doc Hoy that once said here that I like all my BP guns shining like a ruby stuck in a goat's ass? Lol. You here Doc? How ya doin? Built any new Springfield trap doors lately? I'm still using that homemade measure and homemade bore butter you sent me. Good stuff.

Last edited:
Check the sight blade to make sure it is in solid so that when you drop it the blade does not plop out. I lost the blade on my 1860 ASM and finding a stainless replacement.......I gave up.

My gun shoots fine without the blade. THe problem I am having finding one is the thickness. I just havent found stainless or brass that is close enough to start and Numrich only has blued.

Last edited:
Hartcreek wrote: Check the sight blade to make sure it is in solid so that when you drop it the blade does not plop out. I lost the blade on my 1860 ASM and finding a stainless replacement.......I gave up.

The sight blade on mine is tightly attached Hartcreek. Don't give up on yours, it's easy to make one. I've made front sight blades and rear sight blades from scrap metal. Since yours is stainless, just get yourself a piece of stainless steel that is close to, or slightly over the thickness of the front sight groove that you currently have on your barrel. Then cut it out with a dremel, a mill, a jigsaw, etc, then simply hand file it to shape the rest of the way. Check it frequently for fit until it tightly fits the groove. Leave it a little high so you can file it down to point of aim.

Then using a propane torch, melt some silver solder also known as "hard solder" (not electrical solder that's too soft) into the barrel's groove and "tin" the bottom of your newly made front sight with the hard solder too. Then heat both up again at the same time and while the solder is molten, press the front sight firmly into the groove and let the solder cool. Then file off any excess solder. That's it. Pretty easy fix.

Don't use JB weld epoxy to attach it, it won't work and will come off the first time you shoot it because the hard solder will give and stretch a bit when the round goes down the barrel without letting go, but the JB weld or any epoxy will not give at all and is brittle and will crack and break instead of flexing. I found this out when I had to reattach a half moon front sight to one of my 1917 S&W's that had the barrel cut down to a snubby. Tried JB weld epoxy at first, sight flew off first time I fired it. Finally welded it on.

Last edited:
I juet bought one of these

Hello all(:

I know this thread is extremely old, but I just bought one of these guns. Is it worth keeping? My gun is the exact one that what mentioned here but without a box. Will it be a good collectable that will go up in price?

Thank You!

Hello all(:

I know this thread is extremely old, but I just bought one of these guns. Is it worth keeping? My gun is the exact one that what mentioned here but without a box. Will it be a good collectable that will go up in price?

Thank You!
Not enough to make it a worthwhile investment. With the brass frame it's not even a good shooter unless you just like very light loads.

Back