Picked up my new Mak

tatters

Got my new Mak today. What a great little gun. Cleaned up real nice, and not too goobered up with cosmoline.
Used brake cleaner, and rags. Nice finish, but not great.
The bore is what impresses me. Seems unissued. Bore is so bright and shiny. No apparent firing. Didn't seem to have any wear on the slide/hammer interface. Gritty trigger, and hard da pull. Otherwise this seems like a great piece.

$131.25 out the door. Hard to beat. And made a new friend with a lot of common interests.

Thanks to you folks, looks like I made another informed decision.

Yes, good deal and every penny of the $131.25 was well spent on this little gem. Thanks to this forum, my girlfriend bought a Mak and fell in love with shooting.

Like yours, the bore on hers looks literally unshot. I am truly amazed that there are still some of these pistols left for purchase at such low prices...

Did you clean out the firing pin channel?

Tatters - one thing you should do is make sure the firing pin and the channel it moves in are cleared of any foreign material. The mak firing pin is not spring loaded to return to an "at rest" position, say like a 1911 is. It needs to be "loose" and free to move back & forth. If grease or dirt were to lodge the firing pin forward, the gun could slam fire & go full auto.

You can do a quick check by removing the mag & making sure the gun is unloaded. Then alternate by pointing the muzzle straight up & then straight down. You should be able to hear the firing pin moving back & forth.

This will let you know it is free to move, but you should disassemble to be sure.

Go to Makarov.com for more info - lots of good advice there.

Bulgie

I need to get used to field sripping this gun, and thanks so much for the firing pin advice, I checked, and sure enough, it was not any too free.

One complaint I may have... the fit of the Mak in my hand causes my middle finger to be right at the trigger guard pivot point. This Bulgie has the thumbrest grip which will soon be replaced by the Makawrap. The only problem there is this grip still doesn't cover this pivot point.

We will see. I have not even fired the thing yet, and already I feel the need to improve!!!

Back