Picked up my converted Rem 700 last night...

had a 17 Remington caliber Remington 700 rifle that was the FIL's... one of his favorites, & one he shot enough, the barrel was pretty gone on it...

I have been wanting to do a bolt action repeater for the 17 Fireball cartridge, & we found an economical way to do it... I picked up a stainless Green Mountain barrel blank ( trouble being, the diameter is too small for the 700 reciever ) at least without the use of a savage style barrel nut... so we incorporated a copy of the new style Savage nut onto my Remington... I was finally able ( with the help of the members here ) to find a 221 Fireball mag follower & spring, & an aluminum block was machined to fit the mag box, to allow good fitment of the shorter cartridges... all in all I think I had about $300 into the conversion...

now if Hornady would quit moving back the expected dates for the loading dies ( I've tried 4 or 5 different distributors, & all of them have none of the new dimension dies... so I contacted Hornady directly, & was told pretty much, just leave my orders in at the distributors, & I will get one, when they get them made...

I've only got a couple boxes of factory ammo, but hope to at least sight in the rifle this weekend

anyone out there playing with the 17 Fireball ??? it should be one of the best of the 17's... BTW... I have a 17 K Hornet, & the new Hornady 17 Hornet loaded rounds fit in my K Hornet chambers, so they'll fire form... however they do not fit in my buddy's 17 Ackley

Just curious, but why didn't you just find a barrel blank that fit the 700? Seems like you went through a lot of extra expense to make the one that didn't fit work.

The Green Mountain barrel is less than 1/2 what any of the other 17 caliber blanks cost ( with a diameter big enough to fit the Rem 700 reciever )... the extra machine work was a wash... & gives my retired machinist buddy something interesting to do & some cash in his pocket ;)

Not to start an argument, but the correct 1.20" diameter Green Mountain barrel only costs $30 more than the 1.06" diameter barrel you bought, so you actually went to a lot of extra work for nothing. But no matter. The question is how does it shoot? I suppose you will tell us about that soon enough.

Back