Picked Up An Under Rated and Excellent Pistol

mk70ss

Just picked up this Star 30M 9mm. These were outstanding all steel pistols. This one is near mint condition.

STAR was a great loss, perhaps the best of the Eibar manufacturers. My UltraStar is still one of the best of my single stack 9mm.

Congratulations! Your pistol is in excellent condition.

I ran across a Star Model 28 in the early '80s but it sold before I made up my mind to buy it. The Model 30 is even nicer. I wish I had bought one and now, 40 years later, I may.

Never had any new generation Stars but had a bucket of the older models. From 9mm down to 22. Had the old 9 Largo & matching Destroyer carbine. Shot up a storm with them using 38super brass to load Largo. Quality better than a lot of stuff on market today.

If ANYONE knows the dimensions of the dovetail of the rear sight… and/or has a suggestion for a replacement rear sight (even if it is simply a fixed blade), please post it here.

I have the same pistol and my rear sight just shattered while shooting. I need another!

The Star 30 is using the same inverted slide rails that SIG Neuhausen had put on their P210 and that the CZ 75 copied, leading to good accuracy. The aluminium framed Star 28s were prone to have the dustcover crack at the rail, the 30 is the improved version.

My UltraStar, polymer framed 9mm single stack.

attachment.php

It had the swipe down ambidextrous safety, the magazine release was swapable, held 9 + 1 rounds, extremely low bore axis with slide riding inside the frame on steel inserts and actually felt more steel frame-like than polymer. The rear sights were located by a set screw so easily user adjustable.

I really like Stars too. The Model 28/30 (many different names) are so heavy it catches you off-guard the first time you hold one. I have a 30M. Haven't shot it but I'm guessing with the low bore axis and heft, there's little recoil.

These are 9mm and were in the runnings for the US service pistol in the 80s. Some technical glitches caused them to score poorly. The Ruger P85 suffered similarly.

Mag are a PITA to find. I wonder if you could modify a common mag to work.

I finally got to put some rounds the new Star 30M. Zero malfunctions of any kind after 150 rounds. This gun is more accurate than my Colt Gold Cup Trophy at 20 yards. I was getting well centered, tiny little groups.

Back