Picked up an Old School Ruger P89DC

Logs

Always thought these Rugers were cool pistols and built like tanks. Found one in pretty good condition with two mags so I bought it yesterday. Took it to the range and fired a few mags through it. Trigger has creep in it, but not terrible. Accuracy was on par with my Glock 23 that I had with me. Ran 100% with both WWB and Blazer aluminum 9mm. I am happy with it so far.

Md5tNzNl.jpg

I had one of those for a while a few years back. I agree, it was a good shooter, that's for sure. It came to me on a trade, and went out the same way.

Even tho I have and very much enjoy shooting the Taurus 92 that I got over the Ruger P89, I still have a draw to the P series, but in .45, not 9mm. Gotta love a pistol made in the 80s, for the 80s.

The P89DC was my very first semi-auto pistol. Purchased it in 94/95, stolen during a burglary of my home in 2008, recovered in 2010 all beat to hell and back, and could no longer hit a barn door. Sold in 2014-ish. Replaced with a P95DC which was actually a better gun.

I would agree.
I've handled and shot P89s, P93s, and P97s.
I've owned a P94.
They were decent enough. (I do miss the P94.)

But none of them ever won me over as much as "The Brick" - a P95DC that I bought new in 1998 for $180 with a $40 mail-in rebate ($140 Ruger 9mm semi-auto -- even then that was a steal).
I still have it, still shoot it, still carry it at times, and I do not intend to ever sell it.
It has done everything I ever asked it to, never complained, and always asked for more.
Great pistol.

It is still in very good condition, but I have obtained 2 full parts kits, and one nearly-complete parts kit for it (from demilled crime guns), just to make sure it keeps running until I stop.

The P89s are neat. I've owned a couple of them and still have one. I tinker with it when I get the bug and take it to the range when I get a deal on ammo that I'd rather not put through one of my other guns.

Last range trip it digested a bunch of steel cased Winchester blasting ammo without a single jam.

I will say, if I ever see a .45 cal P-series in a store, it will likely go home with me.

--Wag--

Last edited:
The Ruger P-Series are very nice and often under-appreciated guns that can frequently be found for bargain basement prices. I currently have two, a P-90 and a P-85 MkII neither of which cost me over $200 (the P-85 was even bought at the height of COVID craziness). The P-90 is a particularly accurate shooter and shoots just as well, if not better, than some much more expensive and ergonomic .45's I've owned.

Should probably mention that manufacturer support for these guns is now limited. Ruger sold off most of their spare parts for the P-Series pistols some years back and now they are out of some parts. For example, last time I checked, getting a recoil spring assembly for the P95 is not possible.

Indeed.
Springs, clips, screws, pins, etc. are not difficult to come up with - and some manufacturers can custom make them at very affordable prices, if they're not already available.

It is the rest of the bits that one needs to obtain and guard, to keep the P-series running into the future.
Guide rods, recoil spring collars, the recoil spring collar retaining clip, slide and safety parts, hammer strut, sear blocker, ejector pivots, magazine latch halves, etc.

I have two complete parts kits (minus frames) and one that is nearly complete (missing frame and a few bits that live in the frame), in order to keep my P95 running for however long it can survive.

...Not that I've ever had parts break or wear out. My only "failure" was the recoil spring retaining clip sending itself into the nether, in the desert, during the winter (~16" of snow), in 2001 or so. I probably installed it incorrectly. I had taken apart the assembly for deep cleaning the week prior.

I recently got interested in getting a P90, and apparently so are a bunch of other people. Just last summer they went for $300 or less on GB, now they’re up to $375 - 400. I used to see them at gun shows for $250. No more.

Should probably mention that manufacturer support for these guns is now limited. Ruger sold off most of their spare parts for the P-Series pistols some years back and now they are out of some parts. For example, last time I checked, getting a recoil spring assembly for the P95 is not possible.
Ruger's best auto loading pistols IMO. i gifted a P97DC to my son, Traded a P85 for a Beretta 70S and also traded a P90DC.

Parts may be hard to come by if ever needed and when Murphy lurks they may be.

This is one reason for the 1911, You will never be lacking in parts.

I have a KP90DC and it is a heck of a gun. It is a very early production model since the decocker lever is not ambidextrous. It is only mounted on the left side. Reliable and tough. Horribly outdated by today's standards. But I don't care. I always wanted one and never got one until long after Ruger discontinued them.

Back