Picked up a P226 Elite and Shadow 2

wild cat mccane

Hi all,

Picked these up yesterday.

Special thanks to TunnelRat for sending me a link to a below $1k Sig P226 Elite. It didn't end up shipping, but neither did the next. Doh. Third was the charm for $900 delivered.

Special thanks to Bac for his patients helping me select between the CZ models. Big help and went with the Shadow 2 sa/da to start. I have been looking at the Shadow 2 for a very long time and I noticed after looking everyday that it dropped $100 on gun.deals. Bought it and delivered in 3 days.

I have some negatives on these. I haven't heard these negatives a whole lot, so worth mentioning. But I'll be keeping both and I'm happy with what I got.

Sig P226 Elite was impossible to buy for about a year. Sig appeared to stop making any P226 but the Legions for a while. I personally do not like the new green color of the Legions or that it's cerakote, but price was so close to an Elite it almost made no sense for the Elite. But price dropped for one and I went Elite.

Elite is the old "Enhanced" with an SRT, night sights, E2 grip, etc. BUT the Elite has the frame of the legion with the shorter beaver tail. I kinda wasn't against the old longer beaver tail...so I admit that was an unfortunate part of the new Elite for me.

In the hand, the Elite has some wicked sandpaper grips. Just holding it for the first time, the grip was white from where it rubbed off my skin at the web of my hand. Ew...but not really dry skin either. Geeze.

Second negative...I can see daylight through the hammer area in one spot where the slide and frame meet near the muzzle. Not huge, but it's a bright spot in day light. Kinda makes it mentally feel less "stout."

Positive on the P226. Dang. That SRT reset, on mine, is the fastest reset I've had. I thought Walther won, but no. It's Sig's SRT. You have to release a bit on the PPQ/P99/PDP, but on this P226, I just have to think about lighting up my finger and it resets. Amazing.

The DA isn't obnoxious. At all. While heavier than the S2, it's actually pleasant. I'm very much pleased with this P226 and can't wait to get the new P226 X-Five Sig just announced.

So, Shadow 2. Complaints first, but only those I hadn't read before. I think the Shadow 2 comes with a DA reach reduction from the original Shadow...but it's still pretty far for my hands.

When I first picked it up, the smooth and thin trigger had a touch of oil on it. Because of the reach and the oil, I actually had my trigger finger slip off the trigger before I could dry fire it. Ok, that's manageable, first time kinda thing. But it is smaller and very far forward. It is extremely pleasant in feel. That said, it's a VERY polished and thin trigger. I can't be the only one that has had their finger slip.

Slide. I have small hands. I would think I have a better ability to rack this gun than larger hand people. I'll try to figure out the best way, but that slide is dang hard to grab.

Reset on this...it's not super fast. Shorter than what I've loved with Walther, but not much. The Sig P226 is lightening, the S2 is closer to a PPQ. If someone said their Canik Rival reset faster than their Shadow 2, I'd believe it. It's just not insane or even amazing, if you're into that kinda thing. It's great. Not fantastic.

I didn't read this anywhere...but the cut for the grip that is so enormous...it kinda leaves only the skin of my hand contacting the backstrap at the top. I don't know how to describe it, but my hand is very up into the gun, but the return angle of the lower part of the strap isn't natural to blend my hand. It's almost than my thumb web is too far inward for my palm to catch up. The meat of my thumb web is left feeling unused, though the grip is super aggressively high. It's an odd feeling that isn't 100% comfortable.

Finally, my CZ Shadow 2 barrel is not smooth outside. It has very clear tool cut ribs the entire length of the barrel. I'll take a pic of it later, but that's pretty lame. I've accept the CZ Shadow is a bargain for a fake semi custom set up. However, this is getting warrantied asap.

The positives on the S2, it feels thin. From the top it's actually a total pig wide. You don't get that in pictures because the cuts make it thin looking in pictures. However, it's actually wide. In the hand it's very thin and pleasant.

The trigger pull is great in DA and SA. Stays put in the hand.

Thanks all!

A70F4tLl.jpg

Great write up! Some time ago I had a LE friend who had an abundance of .357 Sig ammo. Department was switching back to 9mm. Told me it I had a .357 SIG he'd give me his stash.

4 days later I had a 226 Elite to pick up at my LGS. At the time the only .357 Sig with a BIN on GB was this 226 Elite. I really didn't realize what a great pistol I was buying. Just knew I wanted a Sig. So, I fell into one and couldn't be happier. I agree with your observations. Just a pleasant pistol to shoot.

I added a .40 barrel to its case having an abundance of that ammo. My only real gripe about the gun is that it isn't the most concealable handgun. Not difficult, but its biggest hinderance to me, especially in hot weather. Just a bit bulky.

As for the Shadow 2, I'd have skipped right over that and went for the Tactical Sport Orange. Shot one of those as a rental and loved it. I just don't want to spend the $$ on one.

Nice buys!

About five years ago, a sheriff's deputy offered to sell me a P226 (not an elite, though) for $400 and I passed on it. Didn't have the cash.

I should have taken it. I started keeping my eyes peeled for one for about two years now and haven't seen one.

--Wag--

Back