Pick Your Weapon

Status
Not open for further replies.

roy reali

Lets say you are in this bizzare game. You and an opponent will enter a five acre lot from opposite sides. You will then proceed to battle each other. This lot has some wooded areas and some open field areas. You both will get to pick one of two weapons to use. First pick automatically gives the other person the other gun.

Here are the two guns to choose from.

One, a pump 12 gauge shotgun. It is a Remington 870 all tricked out as a SD shotgun. Included are 10 rounds of the best 00 buckshot.

Two, a scoped Ruger 10/22 with all the bells and whistles. Also included are ten rounds of premium ammo.

You get first choice of weapons. Which would you pick? Why?

I'm going to level with you. This is odd.

But I'll bite.

5 acres? 10/22. Lay down immediately and wait for him to come into range. If it's got all the bells and whistles you have a head shot @ 100 yards. Now, will this do damage enough to kill? Maybe, maybe not, but it'll wound and disorient for your next shot.

Only problem is if he manages to sneak up on you, get with in 50 yards or so, you're F'ed.

I'd pick the .22.
Why: I guess it is the classic scenario of sniper v soldier. The Ruger gives you the capability to move stalk the other man with the shotgun, but to ensure that you do so in an intelligent way. You could show the opponent a quick look and then fall back to a pre-prepared hide, bring him in and shoot him. Snipers don't get into snap shooting contests. The other guy has an intimidating weapon, which will be quite lethal but with less accuracy and iron sights. Assuming you have a good optical sight one could put a .22 into the other guy's head and it's game over. The round is quite lethal in the right place.
What a macabre subject - interesting though!

The shotgun. Then go hang out in the wooded area and let him come looking for me.

If the other guy in this "battle" is MidKnight, it's going to get really, really boring.

The .22 will meet the requirments as set out.

I would go to cover and wait. If it gets dark, I can remove the scope and still wait.

With the .22 I can lay down accurate fire out to 125-150 yards.

Cover?

Wouldn't the person with shotgun be better off in the wooded area of this lot? Wouldn't the open areas favor the rifle?

I've almost played this game before. Only it was a .223 with miles gear. I'll take a rifle over a shotgun anytime. The choice of location in the terrain is more important than the weapon though. Or as my Drill Sgt used to say "cover and concielment."

I'll take the Ruger thanks. First shot tends to win the fight so If I can find a good covering postion and keep my flanks wrapped up, I may be able to get a first shot off before being seen or heard...

I'm actually gonna go with the shotgun. I have much more practice with a shotgun, and if I stick to the wooded areas, i'm either gonna meet him at shotgun ranges or wait for him to come to me.

Also, I can shoot through cover/concealment better with the shotgun.

My long gun for SD is a shotgun, Beretta semi auto, rifle sights, holds 7.

I have no doubt at all that the shotgunner who is confident and knowledgeable of his weapon has the advantage here, . . . if all other things are equal.

According to the specifics, the lot is only 466 feet square. The guy with the rifle only has to move 150 feet towards me and I have him in my kill zone. I'll be in the nearest covered & concealed corner of that lot.

Hope I never have to find out, though, if I would have chosen correctly.

May God bless,
Dwight

Shotgun

The shotgun is good if the target is moving or hard to see in the bush.
Good for psych reasons to.

I will take the M79 if given the choice.

When I fired one at Ft. Knox my first thought was" my God I would hate to be downrange from this thing!

PSYOP Soldier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back