• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

Photo problems

DogoDon

Lately when I have tried to put photos into my posts, I am unable to view them, but from the comments received from others, I'm led to believe that other people can see them. Here's one post as an example of one for which the three photos show up as boxes with red X's in them:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4040793&postcount=16

I should note that it seems this problem started when I started using a program called Picasa for shrinking the sizes of the photos.

So, my questions are: (1) can other people see the photos in the above post? (2) if so, why can't I see them (any reasonable guesses)? (3) if not, is the use of Picasa to blame?

Thanks!

DD

No, I don't see the images, but for a good reason - they don't exist. I looked in your post and see that you linked to attachments that were evidently uploaded to TFL as attachmentid's 59187, 59188, and 59189. Those attachments no longer exist. Did you originally upload them to the thread in question or in some other thread.

I uploaded them to the thread that included the post I cited. This is weird. I must be doing something wrong, but I swear I'm doing it the same way I've done before when it worked fine.

I'll do a test photo here and see if it works:

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0787.JPG
    IMG_0787.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 90
It worked. But I did something slightly different from the post where it didn't work. Now I'll try it again the other way:

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0789.JPG
    IMG_0789.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 86
Okay, so I don't think the difference in procedures I used is the reason for the failure in the cited post. I'm now inclined to think that it's something about the Picasa program that is messing things up. The photos I just uploaded didn't go through the Picasa program.

I'll have to investigate a little further.

Thanks for your help Mal H!

DD

I doubt (but not 100% doubt, mind you) that Picasa is causing the problem. If you uploaded attachments, about the only way for them to disappear is for you or a moderator to delete them. In other words, once they're here, an application elsewhere can't affect them.

Ah! I just checked and see something suspicious - hold on ...

Mal, I edited the post in question, this time uploading photos from my "usual" computer. The first time I tried it, I was using another laptop. The post now shows the photos just fine. I used Picasa to size the photos this time, too.

Not sure how the different computer could affect things, but that really is the ONLY difference between the two postings.

Thanks for your help.

DD

Nope - I'm fairly certain that's not the solution to the puzzle. I'm still awaiting an answer from another moderator. Not sure at this point, but I think your attachments might have been accidentally deleted.

My hunch turned out to be a false alarm. So no one other than you could have deleted the original attachments. It will just have to remain a mystery, I suppose.

Back