Phoenix 14 Cal.

Cheap 870

My brother in law has a single shot shotgun made by Phoenix.
It says PHOENIX CAL 14 PATENT MAY 26 74 on the top of the barrel.
Does anyone have any info on this gun? (Value).
I can only email pics.

I just got a photo bucket account. Sorry if the pic's aren't that good. I down sized them because any bigger & it said the file was to big.

Attachments

• 9756b8e7.jpg
    9756b8e7.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 80
  • bb860c02.jpg
    bb860c02.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 58
  • 11db7eb1.jpg
    11db7eb1.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 63
More pic's from an IPhone.

Attachments

• 6d9c505b.jpg
    6d9c505b.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 49
  • bc89c9b9.jpg
    bc89c9b9.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 42
  • 4d72827d.jpg
    4d72827d.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 40
Looks like you have a Whitney Phoenix Breechloader. These were made from 1867-1881. Can't tell if you can the standard rifle, gallery rifle or carbine.

Steve

Hey thanks. I did a search on it & I couldn't find anything on a 14 cal. I'll keep searching.

Last edited:
Flayderman's Guide to Antique American Firearms says that the shotgun versions of these firearms were made in 10, 12, 14, 16, and 22 gauges, with 26, 28, 30, and 32 inch barrels, with a total production of around 5000. My copy of Flayderman's is an older copy, and only gives a value of $225 in fine condition, but that could have gone up at least some since that printing; the fact that you'rs is in 14 gauge, instead of 10, 12, or 16 might affect the value somewhat, but I can't imagine someone wanting to shoot one of these to begin with, because of the impossibility of finding parts if something was to break.

It could also be 14 MM ( 32 gauge? ), similar to the 410 in size and power ( BUT! not interchangeable ), a European caliber popular at one time. I believe it is still being loaded over seas and can be ordered.

The 14 gauge is long obsolete, and about the only way you could make ammo for this is to machine hulls from solid brass stock; I honestly don't see any reason to shoot a gun this old to begin with, though.

If the chamber is bigger than a 20 gauge, then is 14 gauge, if it is about the size of a .410 then it is 14MM, as far as I know there is no such animal as a 14 caliber per say, it is 14 something:). The only way you can tell for sure is to measure the chamber, we are just giving the possibilities. Only the person who has possession of the shotgun can make that determination

Last edited:
In many old shotguns, European and American, what we call gauge was marked on the gun as "Cal." or "Kal." I am reasonably sure the gun is 14 gauge, a long-obsolete gauge for which no ammunition is available. It is a wall hanger.

Jim

Many old obsolete caliber rifles get rebarreled with a BP chambering and returned to service. I see it all the time. Your old shotgun has some cash value, you could sell it and use the cash for something you would like more.

Back