Philosophy discussion: gun painting

TrueBlue711

So this is definitely an opinion based discussion and everybody is going to have varying thoughts on: painting your gun. I already have my stance on it, but I'm curious to hear others' thoughts. Would you paint your gun(s)? If so, what would you paint it and why? What kind of paint would you use (rattle can, Duracoat, Cerakote, hydro dip, etc)? What guns would you absolutely NOT paint and why?
Here's my stance: I used to keep my guns factory finish. Then I realized that the only reason I do that is for ease of sale/trade in the future. But I never plan on selling my guns! Why not customize them to my preference. So I got into Duracoat over the past few years and painted the majority of my guns. It's kind of addicting actually. One gun I'm on the fence about is my Marlin 336. It's my brush gun, so I was thinking about making it a woodland camo or green/black two-tone. But the old western wood stock look is also good. The only guns I wouldn't paint are collectors or rare guns, which I don't really have any of anyways.
Hope this sparks a healthy discussion! :D

I am by no means opposed to others painting their guns and love to see some of the unique and even wild creations. However, I personally would never do it myself simply because of concern about the long term quality of the finish.

Hate to tell you this, but Marlin guns are now a definite collectible. Don't Bubba them up in any way.

Yes. it's yours and you can personalize it, but I guarantee you all guns are sold eventually and the price of personality will be determined then.

Resale would be as much affected by the style in which it is painted as anything else.

I would imagine that a good hunting gun, done up in a quality camo finish would actually increase resale, rather than diminish.

It's the ones that are heavily personalized that you loose sale value. The more generic the paint job, the more possible buyers it will appeal too.

As far as I go, if I had the spare cash, I could definitely see myself getting a little outrageous with the ranges toys/poops and giggles side of the collection. The "working guns", guns that are not as well loved as they could be (and thus valued as potential trades on something else) and rare guns, not so much.

I have guns with Hydro-dip, Duracoat and Cerecote.

My guns are tools. I dont worry about resale value. Im going to shoot the snot out of em anyway:eek:

In my house a gun looks like a gun. Black, silver, wood.... maybe camo. I don't like the trend of these bright colors and making them look like toys. I get the idea that others are free to do what they please and respect that. I still don't like it.

Hmmmm . . .

I suppose if I knew I could paint he wood parts of my 10/22 a good looking cammo and knew that the results would look okay . . . I might do it. But I don't trust my skill in that arena enough to have a go at it.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young

I've painted only one gun in my life
It was a beat up Savage 110 that I spray painted camo with Rustoleum.

I don't worry about "resale" because I don't buy things I don't want to keep.

I don't resale guns or cars.... I keep them until no more repairs are possible.

I've often thought about duracoat and ceracoat, but I'd probably draw the line at rattle cans.

I had a couple of police trade in Glocks Cerakoted. They had a lot of holster wear and it bugged me. I learned long ago not to sale guns as each time I did I ended up regretting it. I'm going to rattle can camouflage an AR soon. I've been practicing on cardboard and I think I've got the pattern I want down pat.
1a0bfb561b71c5a8d933de80985824ad.jpg

Paint is for wimps; powder coating is for pimps :cool:

Seriously, modern powder coating is perhaps the most impressive material I've encountered. Rock hard, unscratchable, teflon-bearing, slick and shiny like blued steel, matte like bead blasted, bumpy like hammered-metal, every color under the sun including metallic, chemical resistant, UV resistant, heat resistant, it seems like powder coat can do damn near everything at this point, with the exception of polymer parts, where the options aren't nearly so open

TCB

In the world of similar but different, such a collection of AR15s, appearance in a distinctive manner may help keep from dropping a magazine full of .458 Socom, .300 Blackout, .30 Remington, 6x45, 6.5 Grendel, or one of the WSSM into a 5.56.

I know that different magazines might be sufficient but matching receiver and magazine sounds like a better bet.

As long as it isn't painte to look like a training gun or orange tip barrel or similar no problem here.
Camo hunting gun. Sure.
Pink and purple competition race gun. Sure.

Blue Glock for carry. No.

Depending what the finish is to start the paint may go over the original finish and not negatively affect it. For instance SBN is arguable the most all around resistant finish on the market. Most of the coatings and paints can be applied over it as I understand.

Last edited:
Back