Phase one almost complete! First LW Hunting rifle.

taylorce1

I doesn't have the scope on it I want (VX3 2.5-8X36), but it will do for now. Winchester M70 FWT .30-06 SS Classic, McMillan Hunters Edge blind mag stock, Talley LWT low mounts, Leupold VX-II 3-9X40. Now I'm just waiting on the matching .338-06 to be built and I'll be ready for anything!

1359426492.jpg

1359426489.jpg

1359426483.jpg

Now I just have to find time to shoot it!

Last edited:
My 30-06 isn't lightweight, and it has the Decelorator pad from Pachmyr on it, but I could'nt imagine the recoil that sucker has..... have you shot it yet?
It looks cool enough, I hope it shoots lights out for you.:)

Now lets paint that stock!~!!;)

Don't mean to hijack the thread but how important is light weight and why? It was not unusual for me to carry 80-100lbs of gear all day long going through every terrain. I was 10 years younger and 40lbs lighter but still I don't see an issue with carrying around a 10-12lb rifle.

I like it.

I lost the rifle already!

1359497552.jpg

My recently 10 year old daughter has already laid claim to this rifle. When she saw it she said "ooh what is that" I told her it was my new elk rifle. She picked it up and matter of factly said when she is old enough to hunt elk it will be her elk rifle.

Don't mean to hijack the thread but how important is light weight and why? It was not unusual for me to carry 80-100lbs of gear all day long going through every terrain. I was 10 years younger and 40lbs lighter but still I don't see an issue with carrying around a 10-12lb rifle.

20 years ago I'd have said the same thing, I was light infantry then in an Airborne unit. However chasing elk at 7000+ feet all day things get heavier the older I get and I'm soon to be on the north side of 40. This is a rifle for carrying all day and shooting occasionally at large game.

What does it weigh?

How do you like the ultralight mcmillan hunters edge stock?

Near as I can tell it is 7.5 lbs as that is about what the components weigh, maybe a little lighter since there is no bottome metal. My scales for weighing my rifles are in storage right now. So that is the best I can tell you.

As far as the stock goes this is my first rifle that has the Edge. I like the ergos on the Edge as it seems to fit me very well. I'll let you know how it feels as soon as I shoot it.

Last edited:
It's hard to make a Model 70 truly light weight, the action alone is one of the heaviest on the market. And there are not very many places to take weight off, either.

That looks nice, too bad you won't get to keep it.;) On the bright side, you have a new elk hunting partner!!!:) I can see it now: matching pink camo outfits.:D

She's cool Taylorce1, but that rifle might have a little more than she wants.... On the other hand if she shoots it well then indeed she might have a new Elk rifle.....

Now I'm trying NOT to picture you in Pink!!!:p

I'd wear pink camouflage if that's what it took to get her out there. However, elk was the first big game animal she asked to hunt. Unfortunately she has to be 12 to chase elk in Colorado.

She might be able to handle it if I load it with magic bullets like I did her other rifles to get her to shoot them. I'm thinking a 130 grain TSX between 2700-2800 FPS might be mild enough for her in a couple of years as long as she grows into the rifle. She is 5'3" now so she'll probably make it.

Nice rifle, and sorry for your loss "NOT":) I have lost several nice rifles the same way and my girls still go hunting with me every year. Well worth the loss. Congrats

Back