Pewter!

Nice! I love some pewter. I don't know any other casters around here, but there must be some, 'cause there ain't never no pewter in the Thrift stores, and I check often.:cool:

Found a few pieces at the flea market. This ran me about $39. I found a huge coffee decanter/pitcher that I suspect is pewter but they want $45.

Now what is the best way to add this tin to my 10# bottom pour?

I just weigh the pieces, multiply my weight of lead in pot (in ounces) by .02 and add that much pewter. I treat it as pure tin, for casting purposes.

Now what is the best way to add this tin to my 10# bottom pour?

Well there are a couple of options available to you, one you can do it like Beagle suggest above there. Another one is you can pick out one of your molds which might pour one up in the 220-225gr range with the tin and use them as 1/2oz pieces or if they drop out at about 110grs as 1/4oz.

Or you could do like I do with mine, I use the calculator posted up by Bumpo628 from here, Lead Alloy Calculators

I use a freeware program called Convert for Windows to convert it from ounces to decimal percentages of a pound. Then I blend it up into the alloy in a separate small pot and make up 1# ingots with it that way. I keep them in a small plastic box with the alloy name written on the top with a sharpie. When I use it up or change the sharpie wipes right off with a little alcohol.

i dont get to hung up on percentages
as i cast for mostly handgun
i just add a bit till the bullet fills out well
lots of times it doesnt need any!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back