Peterson Brass

Snipe

Good Moring,

Has anyone experience 6.5 cm Peterson brass not growing? My brass is under 1.912 after being fired several times and resized, its measuring 1.905-1.908. I'm resizing with redding S bushings dies. I'm only pushing shoulder back .002 neck .001 tension. Will shorter brass cause my accuracy to be compromised this is for a match gun.
Thanks,

Peyton

the way your post reads is that you are pushing the shoulder back .004 to .007 when resizing. To answer your post the more you work the brass the harder it gets and the harder it gets the more brittle it is. In real life my experience I get 20 to 25 reloads and then my primer pockets get loose before any case/neck splits occur

Thanks Hounddawg I'm only pushing my shoulder back .002 th. I was told by Peterson today since I'm not pushing the should back that much is the reason the brass isn't growing. I was concerned about trimming the cases back to 1.905. Peterson says thats not a problem. What do you think?

Peterson is correct. Bottleneck rifle cases don't grow substantially at the neck during firing. They do, however, stretch the body along the pressure ring location to let the case fill the chamber from its head to its shoulder. When you resize the case, the sizing die squeezes it down narrower (the squeeze that requires lubrication). This squeezing elongates the case between the head and the shoulder. Then, when the shoulder of the case meets the shoulder of the sizing die and you force it in further, the pressure ring area is still too thick to be the first place that gives. Instead, up at the shoulder and neck, where the case is thinner, the shoulder is extruded into the sizing die, flowing into the neck, causing the neck to get longer.

Since you are not letting the case grow appreciably during firing, there won't be any serious excess to extrude into the neck and lengthen it for trimming. Also, if your chamber is fairly tight, the brass may spring back enough that there is very little of the narrowing squeeze I mentioned. Taken together, you can save a lot of brass growth.

One thing to watch out for, though: it is common for the brass that extrudes forward at the shoulder to fail to completely turn the corner up into the neck. Instead, it, or a portion of it, can accumulate over several reloadings in an internal ring where the neck meets the shoulder. This is called the "dreaded donut". It can interfere with a long bullet shank, causing either failure to seat fully, failure to chamber when it does seat, or it can wedge into the neck of the chamber and interfere with bullet release, raising pressure significantly. So you want to feel for this with a dental pick or an o-ring hook or a bent paperclip and, if you find one, use an inside neck reamer to remove it.

Note in the 3rd and 4th instance from the left, how the black dots that follow the brass have moved from below the shoulder and neck up onto the shoulder and neck.

attachment.php

In the upper case, below, you can see the curvature of the donut at the neck and shoulder junction, where the once-fired case below it has none. The inside of the upper case's neck also has reamer marks, indicating a donut had been cut out before.

attachment.php

Thanks Hounddawg I'm only pushing my shoulder back .002 th. I was told by Peterson today since I'm not pushing the should back that much is the reason the brass isn't growing. I was concerned about trimming the cases back to 1.905. Peterson says thats not a problem. What do you think?
Must have missed this comment earlier.

I trimmed mine back to 1.900" and have grown .010" in 5 firings Ironically enough. Setting the shoulder back .0015-.0020 each time. I am not using a bushing die instead a RCBS full length die.it leaves about .002" bullet grip.

Back