Peter Pan for Lube???

8thPistolero

Inactive
I'm an experienced shooter although new to cap n ball. After reading about the importance of using non-petro based lubes with these guns I thought of asking you guys if creamy peanut butter would make a nice lube for using over the ball. It just seems to have the qualities you guys talk about and just about the ideal consistency. Again, I'm sure this has come up before but since I'm a newbie I just thought to ask.....

BillBucks,

7 bucks for 6 ounces Bore Butter, 2 bucks for 18 ounces Peter Pan?

Think you got it backwards.

Should smell good, anyway.

Cheers,

George

Yeah, peanut butter is cheaper for sure. I just thought it might be a viable option instead of Crisco or some beeswax concoction. But then again, there might be a downside to using it that I, as a newbie, don't know about.

Sundance44s

I`ve never used peanut butter because .. i`m scared the little fuzzy tailed critters may try to say i`m shooting over a baited barrel . :D

8thPistolero this is the concistancy you'd be happy shootin' all day with accurately. The peanut butter would be kinda sticky more than beeswax. And the minute you let off one round the rest off the chambers would be liquid peanutbutter.
I do make my own but have a friend selling boxes of lube pills for not a whole lot a money. You may wanna give um an email...will post below.
Anyway here's a pic of two of the four pans I made today, before they became lube pills.

90# Junkyard Dog is selling lube pills. See the pic below. About 200 44's in a box and 300 36's in a box. Free labled box. Lubrication of cap&ball revolvers. Lube pill(grease cookie) lubrication placed over or under the ball in the chamber. Recommended method,"place under the ball & over the powder". Keeps your barrel and chambers from fouling all day long and guards against chain fire and cylinder drag when used with blackpowder. The pills work. contact: "90# Junk Yard Dog" (rifle@vol.com)

Click the Thumbnail Pic below

Thanks for the info guys. I really have no problem using Bore Butter but it occured to me after reading your posts regarding Crisco, beeswax, etc. that peanut butter might have a higher melting point than Crisco and thus it would be less messy to use here in Florida and easier to get than beeswax. Besides, a couple of slices of bread and your good to go at the range when hungry.
Again, I appreciate your advice since I just received my first cap n ball revolver (Cimarron 1858 Millenium) and hope to try it out this coming weekend....:)

Heck, you might give it a try. The worst that could happen would be your Mom jumping on you for wasting food. I wouldn't be too worried myself about the salt content in peanut butter since the salt in the powder and caps require the piece to be cleaned anyway.

The purpose of the lube is to keep the powder fouling soft and peanut oil might work just as well as olive oil, which is the active ingredient in my own lube.

Steve

I agree with you Steve peanut oil would probly work well in a lube mix...but I got my doubts about smooth peanut butter, preservatives plus a hell of a mess when fired...LoL!
I have to say all vegie oils work qiute well mixed with beeswax, bolwax(seal rings), and parafin. Tallow works very good too if you want to go to the trouble makin' it.

Smokin': I bought some of the muzzleloading (Traditions) grease and it gets so hot here it liquifies. You holster yer gun and its runnin' down yer leg.

Crisco would do the same thing. I thought guy was kiddin' about the peanut butter. Sounds like a mess to me.

I emailed the guy with the lube pills. Sounds like a good solution to me :D

Wisk you'll be a happy shooter for sure, more rounds down range. Wait till you see the Old Label on the boxes ... that was one heck of a nice touch for packaging. I'm in the High Desert gets 110f or so when shooting, have had no meltdowns with Lube pills and have kept um loaded for a month or two with BP and no problem. Enjoy, that was a good move.

Back