• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

Persistent setting change.

How many computers are you working on, Wog?

I'm working on three different computers in any given day, and it's driving me absolutely insane.

Just working on one computer.

The new setting makes it look like there is more traffic than there is, but you have to wade through read & unread listings with the threads all intermingled. Its worse when there are a lot of threads on topics you aren't interested in in a sub forum that you are interested in when you have to look at the same (old, but marked as new) posts again.

New tricks for Old-Dogs !!!

In one of my past lives, we had a saying;
When all else fails, read the directions"

Not really a problem as long as you are patient with the change and yourself. Oh yes, read the directions. Just a new direction, in the learning curve. For some, it might be more confusing if you change it back. ..... ;)

Be Safe !!!

wogpotter - do you use the "Mark Forums Read" (or mark the individual forums as read) at times, like when you are leaving your current session and you fell you've seen everything you want to?

I'm surprised this is causing so much trouble. I use TFL from an iPhone, a work computer and two home computers, sometimes back and forth between several of them in a few minutes time.

I would never have known there was a change if people weren't complaining. I still don't even see what they're complaining about. Not that I don't agree, I don't even see it.

The only thing I noticed is that TapATalk now perpetually tells me that there are "99+" unread threads no matter how often I look. I wouldn't have even noticed that if people weren't complaining.

You all must look at the forum somehow different than I do.

My complaint is that the "messages read and cleared" feature leaves a persistent cookie on that particular computer, not in your user account.

I consistently use three computers.

On my work computer I'll mark everything read on Friday afternoon before I leave.

I'll read throughout the weekend.

Yet, when I get in Monday morning, my work computer says "hey, you've not been on TFL since Friday, so you've not read anything!"

The exception to that is for threads in which I've replied. That seems to break that persistent cookie.

It's hugely annoying.

But, I can see why you're not bothered by it. Anyone who uses an iPhone has demonstrated he just aint too bright... :p

So you guys are using the "New Posts" feature a lot, I take it? I've never done that at all. I just scroll through the various forums.

Anyone who uses an iPhone has demonstrated he just aint too bright...

Au Contraire, Mon Frère

No, I'm scrolling through the various forums.

I've never used the "New Posts" button. I like a little more structure to how things are presented.

"Au Contraire, Mon Frère"

Look that up on your iPhone?

That's OK. Here, have a ball to play with. Don't hurt yourself. :D

OK, this is REALLY ODD...

I was last on this computer last night around 9 p.m. and hit the "mark all forums read" button.

This afternoon, when I left work at 2:15, I hit the "mark all forums read" button.

By what I've seen previously, I should see all new posts made after my last visit on this computer.

Only....

I'm seeing all posts made TODAY, AFTER 12:45 p.m.

What the hell is going on?

I wonder what I'm going to see when I fire up my netbook? I've not been on it since Sunday evening.

do you use the "Mark Forums Read" (or mark the individual forums as read) at times, like when you are leaving your current session and you fell you've seen everything you want to?
Now I do, before the act of logging off did it for me.

Oh yes, read the directions.
I did, I just don't like the way it's working now.

For the record, I'm a "New Posts" user. I go through specific forums I'm assigned first most of the time. After that, I just click on new posts and start looking for items of interest to read. It's probably not a good litmus coming from a Staff member since it's probably not how a regular member operates.

Nonetheless, FWIW, that's how I roll...

Sorry you're ticked off, pax. I can see where it might be a headache for others. I'm too uneducated in the realm of computers and the vBulletin to know what I'm missing.

I don't see a problem. Click around and find stuff to read. I use the new posts button all the time and it is different but eh...

Just for the record I'm not mad at anyone, & I'm not confused. I just prefer the old system as I don't have to go & check everything as read all the time like I do now. It makes the site look busier, but that seems to be it's only virtue, making it look busier than it actually is.

Yes I'm a "New Posts" kind of guy.:)

Back