Persian 98/29 mausers

oldscot3

I saw a few Persian 29s on Gun broker for prices ranging for prices$995.00 to $1200.00. No bids. I wonder if a Samco import in about 90% is really worth something perhaps, closer to $800.00? Maybe $850 with a bayonet. Thoughts?

I didn't before mention that everything, including the bayonet, is numbers matching. I think I'll put it up for sale at $900.00. That gives me a little room to negotiate and still comes in way under the examples that I saw listed.

Many of the Persians that hit the market were in new condition. When they were first offered, they were not close to what they are selling for now. If you want one from an importer now, SAMCO is it.

I fail to understand why they are listed so high on the auction sites when I see them at gun shows for around $400-500.

Samco doesn't have any, they are currently listed there as sold out. Allen's Armory had exactly one, that looked pretty worn to me (I think you can still see the pic), and it sold for $295.00. What importer has them now?

The last few gun shows I attended here in Texas had predominantly retail prices for everything. I might have to pack my bags and visit Arkansas. Have they got AKs for $300.00?

oldscot3 posted
Samco doesn't have any, they are currently listed there as sold out. Allen's Armory had exactly one, that looked pretty worn to me (I think you can still see the pic), and it sold for $295.00. What importer has them now?

The last few gun shows I attended here in Texas had predominantly retail prices for everything. I might have to pack my bags and visit Arkansas. Have they got AKs for $300.00?
Today 12:41 AM

The last flier SAMCO sent me, before Christmas, had Persians listed. I guess they sold out. You can and will always find overpriced items on the auction sites. Overpriced auction items are listed over and over. Some items have been on GB for over 3 years. Always have seller waiting for the right fish to bite. Same with Persians.

Did you guys ever read that Persians are Czech:(? An article in the current "Surplus Rifle" magazine at Barnes And Noble Books describes a Persian Mauser which the guy ordered from Samco, a few months before the article was written. This issue has some nice articles.

The author stated that it was practically unfired, if I remember correctly. At that time I was no longer interested in Mauser sights (my Yugo 48A), but with over 2,500 rds. of 8x57 ammo (.25/rd.), the recent gun/ammo panic put the Mauser in a very different light.

Wish I had known that the "Persian" is actually a superb Czech Mauser:o, based on the article.
Kicking myself for not knowing that 1-2 years ago.

Last edited:
Been over two years ago, but acquired one of the Samco Persian barreled actions from a gent who'd bought two of them for what I recall was for around $180 each. He sold one to me for what it had cost him.

Samco had used some chemical cleaner to remove the cosmoline that also removed the blue on much of the metal, LOL. Dispite the loss of the blue, metal, bore and etc., was in excellent condition. Anyway, finding a Persian stock and its metal is difficult. Ended up using a 1909 Argentine stock and its metal from Springfield Sporters to put the Persian barreled action in. Good fit, except for the handguard. Minor problem with clip in handguard, which was too small for sliding over the larger diameter Persian barrel near the receiver.

Anyway, with Oxpho Blue, did a decent job of cold bluing the metal and the completed rifle turned out OK. It is one of my more accurate surplus rifles, dispite only shooting the surplus 70's Yugo 8mm ammo in it.

Ignition override- Yes indeed, they were made by the Czechs and the workmanship is about the finest of the era. One small example is the front sight base, it's not a separate piece that was silver soldered on. It was carved out of the same bar of steel that the rest of the barrel was. If they aren't the finest military weapon ever ordered by a nation, they have to be in the top five.

I may be wrong, and if so will welcome corrections, but I believe rifles marked as Model 1309 were made in Persia, while those marked 1310 were made in Czechoslovakia. The Model 1949 (1328) carbines were all made in Persia.

Note that the Farsi numbers are not quite the same as Arabic numbers, differing mainly in the 4, 5, and 6. Here is a picture:

Jim

Attachments

• pernum.jpg
    pernum.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 55
Hi all,
Ran into this discussion and had to register in the forum just make a couple of corrections:
I have two long and two carbines of these Persians- why? I’m a sucker for these and I was born in Persia…

oldscot3
Regarding front sight base: it actually IS a separate piece. see https://www.gunpartscorp.com/ad/1164230.htm#1164160
This is Numrich Gun Parts item # 1164160. They have front sight bases on sale for $9.00. It is a slip-on… However your statement about “being finest made military weapons…” is very correct. They were very well made. One gunsmith told me the action on these can easily handle pressures up to what a .458 cal can dish out… I wouldn’t try it but he knew what he was talking about.

JamesK
1309’s were made in Brno Czech. Some Carbines were also made in Brno [both of mine were]; but later the Persian army bought the right to make them in Iran [in 1317 if I am not mistaken]. the writing on left side will specify whether it is Brno-made or Iran-made... By the way- It is currently year 1394 in Iran. The numbers are all Arabic/Persian- just different fonts…

I had to use a 10x magnifying glass to see the very faintest line, but I believe you are right, so I stand corrected. It is however, still pretty impressive how nicely these weapons were made.

About the action strength , could be so I guess, however with a 29" barrel my rifles get good performance using 175 Sierras at the recommended pressures.

Last edited:
persian mauser

I did not know about the front sight base till I decided to re-blue one of the carbines. you are right the line is not visible to the naked eye. Not sure how they achieved this...
I am having good results and decent velocities [~2200f/s] with ~ 41 grains of IMR4064 behind a 200 grain speer. These 8mm Brnos really seem to like the heavier projectiles.

Back