Period Correct Rifle Scope

I am interested in making my own period correct scope.
I have found a couple of mounting examples but i'm having trouble with
the actual scope making.

Can any one provide me with information with regards to this please.
I'm particulary looking for information on how long the scope should be and such.

Thank you.

I asked at another website as I too am interested in making my own period scope. No luck so far. Let me know what you learn.

I dunno bout the specs on a Davidson or Malcolm or anybody elses period scopes but y'all do realize period mounts weren't made for modern off the shoulder shooting right? They're too low for that. They were made for sighting from a reclining position with the barrel propped between the feet.

The Davidson scope mount was on the side of the gun. Davidson intended it that way to provide enough elevation for long range shooting. The gun it was most commonly mounted on, the Whitworth, was capable of hitting a 32 feet x 2 feet target at 1880 yards. The size of the target was representative of a platoon of soldiers standing in formation.

Yep, over a mile. Remember, the target isn't man sized. It's platoon sized. BTW, it was made of several planks of oak and at that distance, the Whitworth still drove deeply into the wood. In my own research, I've found one Whitworth kill and one injury at over 1400 yards. How do I know it's confirmable? Well, it's between two islands with nothing between.

Nice ones here:

http://www.leatherwoodoptics.com/index-malcolm.html

I'm thinking about one for my 32" Sharps. :D

log2c.jpg

I'm thinking about one for my 32" Sharps.

Yes those are the ones. They look amazing. The only probnlem is no one imports them to South Africa and getting $400 something is a bit of a problem, hence I want to try and do it myself.

That's a very good article, Quantrill. Amazing the extreme ranges and interesting that the Springfield has a longer range than the (lighter) Martini Henry.

The current record for a sniper kill is held, I think, by Corp.Rob Furlong with a McMillan TAC 50, at 2,657 yards. I'm not sure about the current record for a group but i think its slightly over that - always with the big .50

Thanks for the reference.

Back