Perfecta .223 Rem from Wal-Mart

MisterYuck

I used to buy a lot of Perfecta .223 Remington from Wal-Mart. They sold 50 round boxes for $14.94. This was for brass, not steel case. Now, all of a sudden, they don't seem to be selling it anymore as of about a month ago. Anyone heard anything? My AR-556 loves these cheap rounds and I have put hundreds through it...

I've seen perfecta in handgun cartridges at my local Wal-Mart. I didn't look in the .223 shelf but I'll keep an eye out next time.

I shot several boxes of Perfecta .223, and both of my sons have shot a good deal more than that without issue.

Then I went to the range alone one day with some magazines to check for function that were preloaded from five boxes of the stuff.

I don't recall exactly how many issues I had out of the 250, but I had a few failures where the primer went off but the powder did not ignite.
In doing that the bullet separated on at least one, maybe two, filling the action with powder when I opened it.

Another wound up driving the bullet back in the case as it bounced up into the chamber on the feed ramp. I'm thankful with that one that I did not wind up pulling the trigger as that could've been a catastrophic failure.

Only reason I can figure is that they were not crimped properly when the bullets were seated. That would allow moisture, humidity, or what ever else the ability to foul the powder. It also explains the projectile pushing back into the case.

I've used a lot of Perfecta in other calibers that was purchased from Walmart without any issue. Let's face it, the stuff is affordable... and you try feeding three shooters with ammunition!

I won't use any more of their .223s, ever.
Nor will either son.

I have no issues regarding reloading it.

Just a heads up on my own experience.

Last year I was finding Perfecta 30-6 on closeout for $11.97/20rd box. I liked it. It shot reliable and consistent and it was accurate. I did see a little more smoke compared to major manufacturers. Snatched it up while I could find it, but they don't carry it anymore. I don't see it in any caliber these days at Walmart.

I also ended up with one box of Perfecta in .30-06. It shot surprisingly well and I wish I had bought more... On a different site I saw where Perfecta's contract with Wal-Mart had ended and there will not be any more. Anyone know who else carries this Perfecta ammo?

Back