Perfect Back -Up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZVP

CAS promotes the use of the little .22 LR Rimfire in any one of several manuuactioners Pistols.
To me, it makes more sense using the large frame Cobra with basic .38 special S&W loads, since you'll likely be using that load anyway.
The .22 rimfire forces the need of seperate ammo supplys.
No doubt the .22 RF is capable of chasing _wats, though the .38 Special anchors them on the spot!
Ammo for the .38S&W Spec and .22 is most easilly found than various .32's. Too bad, as I love playing with BOTH OF My Derringers!
While prepping for the shooting session gives one a chance to see many loads!
Dave

I am a bit confused with the post, i reread it several times, are you asking a question or making a statement regarding the .38 special as a personal protection weapon?
Sorry but i just do not understand the ramblings ( although i do my share at 3 AM when normal folks are sleeping).

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

I'm lost too.... I'm 95% semi-auto and 5% revolver. As a backup gun only. Appendix. For up close and personal (God forbid) contact shots. Revolvers don't go out of battery.

That's me... I don't know what you're trying to say or ask. I'm sorry.

Huh???

Sounds like something I had to read for a general studies 'philosophy" in college a looooog time ago . . . which didn't make sense either.

I guess I'll just say I agree to disagree to agree to disagree???? :rolleyes::D:eek:

A 38 spl derringer with 130gr standard pressure loads is the only pistol that has ever hurt for me to fire. Bruised my palm in just four shots!

Also, I too am unsure what a "_wat" is, or what to hunt them with.

Who, or what is CAS? What manuuactioners??? Why would anyone be "likely "to "be using that load anyway"? Lots of 9MM, 40 S&W, and 45 acp guns in use as primary concealed carry guns by civilians, and service pistols by the police. 38 Special is most likely below all of them on the popularity list.
Where a 38 Special may anchor a wat, what ever that is, it is less proficcient at stopping a human target than any of the others I mentiooned.
And if this confusing conglomeration of words is meant to be about a backup gun for self defense, there is no way I would choose my Big Bore Cobra 2 shot 38 Spcl. Derringer. Single action, with a fairly difficult, and time consuming hammer to cock, very poor trigger, and accuracy on a par with twoing a wock at the wat, or wabbit! I'll take at least 5 rounds of 38 Spcl. +P in my accuraate, double action Ruger LCR. Or better yet, 7 rounds of Gold Dot +P 9MM in my Kahr CM9.

When I see CAS I automatically think of Cowboy Action Shooting. What that has to do, if anything, with the rest of the post is a mystery to me.;)

Hi Dave,

I like the .38 Special as a general purpose cartridge. If you handload it is as versatile as anything out there. While not "sexy" to some, it's a near perfect cartridge for me.

My go to basic .38 Special load is a 3.5 grains of Unique powder under a 158 grain SWC lead bullet. I also really like the 158 grain flat point lead bullets.

Regards,

Rob

CAS... Cowboy Action Shooting...

it's been a while since I've been to a match, but I've never shot a stage that used a back up gun... I'd assume whatever gun that is would still have to be single action... ( maybe where you're at they allow the use of period double action pocket guns ??? but that doesn't seem to follow SASS guidelines ) at this point I'm assuming you are refering to the Colt Cobra, which would be double action, but not a "period" gun... but yes, it is easier if all your match guns are the same caliber... it's not necessary though, as I started shooting 45 Colt revolvers, & 38 Special lever gun, & I used to shoot with a gal, that was using her husbands old guns, her main match revolvers were different barrel lengths, & different calibers... ( & she still often outshot me back when I was a newbie )

I currently use 38 Special for the MRS... she shoots a pair of Vaqueros in 38 Special & a vintage Rossi limited edition engraved saddle ring carbine in 38 Special ( one I used earlier on in my CAS shooting )... I currently use a pair of 45 Colt polished stainless Montados with custom brass Colt Lightning grips, & an older Rossi stainless & brass 45 Colt lever rifle

just in case... I do have 2 that would qualify as back up guns... I have a Colt pocket cap & ball that has been cut down & converted to 32 S&W, & a Ruger Montado in 45 Colt that has been cut down to a snubbie, & has a birdshead grip frame...

I don't personally think 22's should be used at all except for the kids classes

I've only ever been able to use those "belly guns" for side match guns though... never shot a stage that allowed me to carry a back up... those side matches were always timed 5 shots...

... as I was looking up Cobra as a back up... I ran across the derringers... ( I"ll admit my 1st thought of Cobra was the Colt :o ) perhaps the OP was refering to a Cobra double barrel derringer as a CAS back up... one chambered in 38 Special??? next question would be how many shots need to be fired from said back up??? is 2 shots enough???

Last edited:
Magnum Wheel Man, I think he may have been talking about the derringers, although your colts are some fine weapons. I have a brother that is into CAS "whole hog" and here they have stages and side matches that require Derringers.

Cowboy Action Shooting! DOH!!!!, now it makes perfect sense.:D Not a back up for concealed carry purpose, but rather as part of oboy ames. Also explaining the already having a 38 Spcl. Except I thought 45 Colt was also used a lot.
The only question left is what's a wat, and do you actually chase them in Cowboy Action?

to me, this is the perfect CAS back up gun :)

attachment.php

Attachments

• new buffalo horn grips avitar.jpg
    new buffalo horn grips avitar.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 9
I don't get the post either but I bet he was typing from a smart phone and auto-correct took over.

If we are indeed talking CAS, I always of course think lever action/revolver. When I think revolver and BUG, the LCR pops up first. Pick one, .38/.357/.22WMR/9mm. Any of those can get the job done and can be concealed in many places

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back