Perennial Plea for the Olympics to embrace the Bobathlon

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaleA

Once again it is winter Olympic time and once again I am making my request for the Olympic folk to embrace the Bobathlon. Below is a short description of the sport.

Let’s face it, after the start of a bobsled race the other members of the crew besides the driver don’t have much to do. Let’s give them shotguns and let them engage targets of opportunity on the run down the hill!

Can you say exciting???!!!

The start of the race would be the same as usual but after the initial push off instead of just putting their heads down for the rest of the ride, the non-driving bobsled crew persons would unlimber the 12 gauges from the bobsled gun racks and have at the various stationary, pop-up and aerial targets along the run.

Wouldn’t it be a blast (literally) to see a well trained two or four person crew barreling down a mountain run knocking over steel plates and dusting clay pigeons? Come out of one of the turns a little slow? The driver could be helped out with a little extra acceleration by a well timed volley directly to the rear!

Wow!

The concept has left most people I’ve mentioned it to speechless.

I posted the above several years ago and am still waiting for the concept to take hold although I am heartened as other folk have similar ideas. Check out the link below, not my concept but they’re on track to …something.

https://imgur.com/gallery/k8fbA

I've also improved on my idea by considering mounting two, fixed forward firing 12 gauges on the bobsled itself that could be fired by the driver at targets crossing the path of the sled.

Good luck to the USA team in China!

I hope this suggestion gets all the attention it deserves.

I can see the audience throwing clay pigeons.

Then 4 or more hours of sweeping to remove the debris so the sleds can run again.

Back in the mid 1980s, "Skeet Surfing" was an up and coming sport, too.

Folks treated it like a joke...

thesapphireseal-saph.gif

Why stop at shotguns? Allow the use of AK47s and finally teams from "emergent nations" might have a chance to medal.

While this is a joke, comparing this to some of the ludicrous "sports" in Summer and Winter Olympics, this isn't all that bad an idea.

When looking at some of the sports, you have to seriously question if they're worth being included in the Games much less being awarded Medals.
Many of these look like they were invented by Calvin and Hobbes.

Back in the mid 1980s, "Skeet Surfing" was an up and coming sport, too.

I sorta feel like the time-lapse photography of the degradation of the salt water exposed shotgun after the event would be more entertaining than the actual sport.

I've been at an Olympic bobsled trial run in Lake Placid, they move way too fast for this to work. And it's a blast to stand next to a curve close and watch them fly by. Random shotgun blasts may cut down on the fun.

But we have a shot at a biathlon medal this year. I won't be watching because I don't want to lend any support to the hosting country.

Olympic events, with the exception of the Biathlon and legitimate shotgun sports, are not topics for TFL even if they seem to be partially firearm related. In addition, I find it hard to imagine a less safe Olympic event than what was described.

Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back