Percussion Rifle Marked "LANCRT.PA"

The Storm

Inactive
I recently came into possession of a couple antique percussion rifles but know nothing about them. I am curious to learn any history/information surrounding the guns that can be derived from their markings.

This is rifle 2 of 2 - The steel plate, which is believe is called the “lock” (bear with me, I’m new to this world) is stamped “LEMAN” on top and below that is stamped “LANCRT.PA”

This rifle seems to have been in an accident at one point in time and the stock damaged badly, however, it was repaired.

The end of the barrel is stamped all the way around with a star symbol that looks much like the * text symbol.

Again, if anyone can shed some light/history on this new piece of mine I would be very grateful to learn more about it.

Here is a link to view the photos online: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/eipswtwm4q3fxzh/AAAq9c0LjHnoyZiSPZQ9GERna?dl=0

I met Frank Leman but he was a direct (don't know how many "greats") grandson of the gunsmithing family of Lemans. He used to travel around attending Cowboy Action shoots and do engraving, gun repair and if asked, performed as a magician. Unfortunately, Frank died last year IIRC. He told me of a guy who brought an "old rifle" (percussion) in to him to see if it could be made into a shooter. He took it in and I'm not sure what all he did (freshened the rifling, repaired the lock, oiled the parts and stock, cleaned it up, etc., etc.) test fired it and had the guy come back in for it. When the guy saw it he was amazed how beautiful it looked and asked what he owed and Frank said "Nothing. Look at the barrel, it says 'LEMAN warranteed'. I'm a Leman and it's still under warrantee."

Back