Percussion caps?

The 209's are basically shotshell primers and are used with in-line muzzleloaders. If it has an external nipple, the traditional percussion caps are used. Yours appears to use the traditional caps, and #11 is a common size. The cap should fit easily over the nipple but be snug enough to stay in place while you are hunting.

My question is, which percussion cap would this rifle use? The 209 or the #11?
Unless you get a conversion, you will be using a #11 and it will give you good performance. .... :rolleyes:

Not only that but if by chance you do convert to a 209, the ghost of Davey Crocket will pay you a surprise visit. .... :eek:

My compliments on your selection and get that 209 stuff, out of your head ... ;)

Enjoy and
Be safe !!

Yep, use a number 11 percussion cap, a .490 round ball with .015- .020 thick
patch, "Blue & White Stripe Pillow Ticking" will work, lubed with bore butter
for hunting, and spit for target shooting. Powder charge with real Black Powder
like "Goex" use from 50 grs.- 70 for target shooting and 80 grs for hunting.
Use either the FF or FFF . Either will work. Clean with water and oil with your
favorite oil. I use WD-40. This is advice of over 50 years of shooting these
kind of guns. This will work and work well.

209's are primers, intended for shotgun shells. Look at the back end of a 12 gauge shotshell and you will behold a #209 primer. Primers fit into a hole. Percussion caps fit over a nipple. If you have a spent 12 gauge shell, you can punch the old primer out with a large nail and take a look at it.
When I was a young kid, Remington shells used the slightly smaller #57 primers.

Mostly it's the new-fangled in-line and break-open modern muzzleloaders that use shotshell primers instead of percussion caps.

Traditional sidelocks use percussion caps, most likely #11. Some revolvers use #10 percussion caps and most rifled muskets use musket caps, much larger than #11 caps.

A #10 cap may work well too. My Lyman's Deerstalker has eaten everything I've fed it unlike my pistol, which needs a Rem #10. I'm guessing the spring is much stouter giving it more smackdown.

Back