Percussion cap storage (very damp climate).

38splfan

Hello all,

I have a question for the collective "fount of all knowledge" that hangs around this cyber-nuthouse. :D

I'm trying to find some information regarding percussion caps in very damp situations, specifically storage requirements and shelf life. The search function turned up lots about smokeless primers, but not much on percussion caps.

For gits-&-shiggles, lets say they are going to be stored on a gulf coast shrimp boat for a year. (not really that bad, but close.) I have been reading Jimmy Buffett's latest book, and simultaneously drooling over a Dixie Gun Works Roger's and Spencer in the London grey finish. Now I'm fantasizing about moving back down to the Gulf Coast, then bouncing around old "El Caribe" in an old shrimper-turned-freighter, wasting life away as a jungle adventurer/freighter captain, neither of which is a real job.:D

This is obviously all hypothetical, but how would one go about storing powder and caps in a severely damp climate? Also, how long might they last? I'm thinking individual plastic wrapped containers, inside of smaller waterproof ammo cans, inside of one mid-to-large size dry box.

Well, thanks in advance for the input, I'm gonna go see if anyone has a copy of "The African Queen" I can borrow:cool:

Last edited:
I'd suggest getting some packages of dessicant, sticking one in each ziplock bag, and putting your perc-caps in the same ziplock.

Powder - in its own sealed container, inside a large gallon ziplock, with dessicant packages.

Keep it all closed unless you need to open them. If you double or triple bag them, you could probably scuba-snorkle with them in a backpack, or perform a reload in the middle of a hurricane while raiding pirates are boarding your ship.

Vacuum packing will work well. I packed some items which were small and were intended to be used singly. I placed them in the (rather large) vacuum bag, far enough from each other that the bag sucked down flat between each one. Then I used a small iron to seal the lines between each item. I could then cut out each one as I needed it.

Caps are well enough sealed at the factory to take some dampness without harm. Perhaps seal individual cans of caps, rather than smaller quantities, depending on how fast you will go through a hundred of them.

Pops

Thanks guys.

Thanks a bunch. I figured on sealing the caps in their cans anyway. And baby food jars sound pretty good, too.

Any idea how long they would last stored like this? Or maybe how long the dessicant will last.

I know that 18th and 19th century sailors carried enough powder and caps for the voyage, so it has to be pretty easy to do.

Now, just gotta find Gardner McKay and get a job.....

Any idea how long they would last stored like this? Or maybe how long the dessicant will last.

Some good info from here: http://www.brent-krueger.com/silica.html

4prods.jpg

The 40 gram canister, designed to protect 3 cubic feet, is ideal for desiccator cabinets, safety deposit boxes, etc. The 450 gram canister, designed to protect 33 cubic feet, is ideal for safes and other larger storage areas. This product makes trays and bags of loose desiccant obsolete. The contained silica gel absorbs moisture through perforations in the aluminum case. One canister maintains a safe level of humidity in 3 cubic feet of space. Even when saturated, it remains dry to the touch. Because silica gel granules are inert, they will not emit harmful vapors, stain or cause any chemical reaction.

Instructions for Use and Reactivation

For Enclosed Areas:
The more tightly enclosed, the more vapor-proof you can make the storage area being protected, the better! Otherwise, your silica gel will "drink up" moisture from all outdoors, becoming saturated and requiring reactivation so frequently as to be inconvenient. It's worth it to do your best to make the protected area as vapor-proof as possible.

Hydrosorbent silica gel granules are inert and non-toxic. They will not emit harmful vapors, stain, or cause any chemical reaction. Safe to use with foods, medicines, sensitive materials, electronics,films, etc.

Remove the protective pouch in which your Hydrosorbent unit is packaged. Note: there may be a small amount of dust, which is inevitable as the product is shipped around the country. While we regret it, this small amount of dust will not impair function as we overfill to more than compensate.

Position your Hydrosorbent unit on an exposed surface anywhere within the enclosed area to be protected.

Examine the indicator from time to time. Reactivation instruction for each unit follows

Reactivation Instructions:
These instructions are intended for use with Hydrosorbent silica gel, which is an indicator silica gel. Caution is advised in re-charging your silica gel. Do not leave silica gel unattended while re-charging.

When you first use silica gel in the area to be protected, it may become saturated rather quickly as it "drinks up" residual moisture. Once the residual dampness is removed, you can maintain a dry condition with less frequent need to reactivate the silica gel. Reactivation times below are minimums. Sometimes, when the silica gel becomes overly saturated, it's good practice to extend the reactivation period. However, do not vary from the recommended temperatures.

40 Gram Unit: When the blue silica gel beneath the inspection window turns pink, reactivate as follows: Place the unit in a vented 300 degree F oven for at least 3 hours. (or until the silica gel turns blue again).

450 Gram Unit: Place the unit with the indicator card down, occasionally examining the card. When the center circle turns pink reactivate the unit as follows: Remove the bag of silica gel granules from the unit and place the bag in a vented 240 degree F oven for at least 3 hours. Replace the bag in the unit (it may take several hours for indicating circles to turn blue again).

Hydrosorbent silica gel units can be reactivated indefinitely ... provides a lifetime of protection.

Back