Pensylvanians might read Pgh TR Editorial

alan

Rendell & guns: Off target again
Wednesday, December 12, 2007

After unsuccessful efforts to ram constitutionally challenging gun-control measures through the Legislature, Gov. Ed Rendell took his crusade to the people on Monday, firing off wild arguments that don't come close to his intended target.

That's assuming his target is gun violence. Or is it Pennsylvania's legally licensed gun owners?

Extolling the need for tougher gun control, Mr. Rendell at a rally in Harrisburg said the choice is between protecting the welfare of police officers and buckling under to the clout of the national gun lobby. What he conveniently sidestepped is Pennsylvania's Constitution.

Article I, Section 21, is clear: "The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned." Of course, Rendell's two-step on matters constitutional isn't anything new.

If the governor is adamant in his convictions -- such as letting municipalities enact tougher gun laws -- let him pursue a constitutional amendment instead of a legislative end around, which is destined to fail.

Why? Because curtailing citizens' right to own guns will not stop criminals from possessing them. Worse, such simplistic thinking puts unarmed citizens in the cross hairs of gun violence.

It was an armed volunteer at an evangelical church in Colorado Sunday who stopped the body count of a gun-wielding lunatic.

Unlike Rendell and his chorus of gun-grabbers, this heroine wasn't shooting blanks.

The superficial thinking on the part of Rendell is what has me concerned about him ever getting elected Governor of PA in the first place. He's a doufus.
The dimwits in PA are in control, not good rational thinking people.
My home state is PA, Harrisburg.

Don

hmm....there are probably more criminals incarcerated (that are probably up for early release) than there are law enforcement officers employed in the U.S., not counting how many more criminals are running the streets.

hmm....let's disarm the people so that they must completely rely on our under-funded, under-manned, under-payed, over-worked, over-used, out-gunned, you get the picture law enforcement.

oh yeah, that's your "standard issue" politician.

I'm a native Pennsylvanian and I'm appalled. How can the governor not realize that most of the state takes a holiday for the first day of buck? Oh wait, he's from NYC via Philly. So he's really from Jersey... right? ;>)

If you guys in PA think you have it bad, dont come to NY, NJ or CT.....

But still that moron Governor needs to get voted out of office

Back