Penetration targets

Irish B

What targets do you guys use to gauge penetration and depth? I don't really have any access to any big blocks of ballistics gel

Milk jugs bust open too easily. I use heavier vinyl jugs like detergent or gun powder comes in.

hudson109.jpg

Milk jugs bust open too easily.

I use what I have on hand: 5 kids = more empty gallon milk jugs than I want to think about, considering the cost of milk.

Besides, it is the water that provides the mass to stop the bullets.

It's all for fun anyway.... but the water displaces faster in a regular milk gallon jug.

A guy on another forum had tested the same ammo I had in the pic above. (45 acp Ranger). Anyway I got much less penetration than he did because my vinyl jugs didn't burst.

It's not a "my way is better" thing. It's just that you'll get different penetration results with a more stout jug. I don't know which one is more indicative of performance on a bad guy. :confused:

I don't know which one is more indicative of performance on a bad guy.

Depends upon the degree of "stoutness" of the BG.... or maybe the consistency of the BG..... Fat guys more like the milk jugs, tweakers like..... I'd think they'd be stringy.... be like shooting a large hemp plant.....

In medic school we worked on pigs because they're very similar to human and the skin is nearly identical. . . maybe i should just hang some pork out at the range and have at it :D

Maybe we can convince the government to let us test out penetration on a bunch of bad guys all lined up in different positions, etc, this will take care of several problems at once (free up prison space, get rid of bad guys, save money, get some good test info, etc).
yankyourchain.gif

Michael Grace

Back