Penetration experience with 10mm on hogs?

Greybeard

I've got the "itch" real bad again for a Glock 10mm. The Model 29 (3.78" barrel) is what I'd like (as opposed to Model 20 - 4.6" barrel) due to compactness for carry, quail/hog hunting and otherwise in concrete jungle.

My question here is what kind of experience do any of you guys (or gals!) have with 10mm penetrating - or not penetrating hogs?

Barsto makes a 5.5" barrel for G29 that looks like would get the fps up about 50 fps from the numbers shown below (with "hot" Double Tap ammo). And I suspect the fps from shorter barrel G29 would start out around 50 fps less than what is shown below (from 4.6" G20).

200g XTP @ 1250
or 220g FP Cast @ 1125

Anyhoo, I'm curious to hear what loads you've had (or not had) success with on hogs and from what barrel lengths. Popping for a new G29 could be a budget buster all by itself and I question if necessary to plan on dropping another $200+ for "hunting" barrel with another 1 3/4".

Lonnie, I asked about favorite methods of dispatching hog back in early 1999 in about my 3rd post. Rob posted that while he liked a knife ( ! ) for 'em, his wife dropped 'em with a G20 with Hydra-Shoks. Then, later, he said,
I have not found the Hydra-shook to expand veyr reliably, but it seems to have done the job. this year, I am going to stick with the SilverTip for Whitetail out of my RT Glock 20.

Doing a little search here, I find a post by "KilgoreII" who said:
I don't use anything smaller than a .41 mag with 210gr. SWCs @ 1100 fps

So a 10mm with a 200 grain XTP at 1,250 fps or 200 grain WFN Beartooth bullet @ 1,350 should be fine then... :D

www.texas-ammo.com
www.beartoothbullets.com
www.kkmprecision.com
Sound like some hot loads, worthy of a look.

--Matt

Yep, some interesting links there. Thanks.

Just guesssin' the "standard" G29 will produce just under 1200 fps with the "hot" 200 grainers - and definitely need some type of extension for the pinky to also "get a grip". :D

I read elsewhere that some Hydrashocks did not fare well against skull ...

Back