pellet projectile penetration

• Thread starter Thread starter olazul
  • Start date Start date
O

olazul

Thought I would pass on an interesting tidbit. I saw an individual today that had been shot in the thigh with a .177(?) cal pellet from a pneumatic rifle point blank. Penetration into the thigh was 5 inches. Pretty impressive performance methinks.

enjoy da turkey,

olazul

Did they tell you what type of pellet gun it was ?

I once was "hired" by my neighbors to snuff out a peacock that had taken up residence in the hills behind our house. Annoying bastard. Anyways, it was on the second night of my mission, I spotted it poking it's head about 400 yards from my house. I got up real close, and with my crossman 880 (pumped to the maximum ten times) I blew that Fuqqers head clean off (slight exageration :)! I bought these faux "hollow point" pellets from the local gun shop specifically for the task. Worked great, the neighborhood slept in peace and I got 5 bucks.

rws Model 36 is a .177 cal break action
spring piston adult air rifle with a muzzle velocity of 1200 f/s This is the same muzzle velocity as a 22lr high velocity 40 grain bullet, but the rws is firing a 4.6 grain flat point pellet. Other pellet weights are available with the heaviest being 8.9 grain
Mysterklugen Match yeilding a muzzle velocity of 950 ft/sec This air rifle is lethal at 50 yards with a 7/8 in 50 yrd group. It deserves
a 3x9x40 rifle scope as it is that good.Expect to spend around 280.oo for one.
Not a toy ,but a 30 year rifle, properly maintained.Will last several generations with
the purchase of a 2 spair seal, spring and piston kits, as these could, (not will) go bad every 18 years or so. Mine has fired thru
first a coffee can then continuing on conpletely through a 2x 4 placed behind the coffe can. Point blank (1 foot) against a 55
gallion steel oil drum , nearly went through,
bulged the metal 3/8ths of an inch backwords.
Did daylight a thin gague garbage can.

[This message has been edited by ernest2 (edited November 22, 1999).]

To Muscles Mc Gee:

Unless you were in Asia when the incident with the peacock occured,you killed someone's valuable pet. Peacocks are not native to North America. My neighbors keep them as pets and "watchdogs" They occasionally wander into my grove and back yard. One stayed for two weeks. Yes, we fed it and gave it water. It finally went home on its own. Yes, it was quite noisy but I would no sooner shoot it than I would shoot my neighbor's dog or cat or horse because it made noise.
Are you sure someone adult paid you to shoot it?

marsh

Oh man, i was wondering what happen to ol' Peter the pet peacock.

I'll get you Muscles!

No, really, arn't they just turkeies with fancy feathers?

Ernest2, I was thinking a nice airrifle would serve good where one needed total silence. Seen the 9mm air rifles? some deliver over 150 ftlbs of energy and are totally silent. Would be good for taking out security lights or a gaurd dog.

------------------
The new guy.

"I'm totin, this pistol because my dang SKS won't fit in my holster"

Marsh, the Peacock was feral and had been a nuisance for quite some time. After two years of dealing with this nonsense, and knowing every neighbor in the community, we were sure it was no ones pet. Even if it was, it was on my property, and if a feral dog had been on my property and had been just as much of a nuisance, I would of done the same.

P.S., yea I was paid, 5 dollars American. Bought a new tin of pellets

[This message has been edited by MusclesMcGee (edited November 23, 1999).]

Muscles,

No, they did not know what type of rifle it was (I really wanted to know). That is some pretty lethal performance though, I'm gonna have to get one!

p.s. what did the peacock taste like?

regards,

Olazul

Jimmie how bout compound bow with broad head can take out more than sentry lights. heheh

At a high school I worked at last summer the neighbors next door had a **it load of these birds and I would get there at six am and they would make a gawd awfull noise from up in the tree I joked more than once about my benneli and the birds. Later in the year we were weed eating the brush behind building and my partner took one out with a weedeater "hows that for stealth!" it had edger blade on it instead of string, we guess the bird was laying in the brush over its eggs and he (my partner) didnt see it. By the way he is basically anti-hunting pro environmental and such. You can imagine the hard time we gave him about his killer instincts.

I once had a pump pellet pistol and shoot through old steel trash can, could definitly penetrate some flesh.

oberkammando, damn, that would be an ugly sight. I have accomplished some pretty amazing feats with my 880, but don't have much experience with a weed wacker.

Jimmie, 9 mm air gun ? Where did you see that ? Sounds interesting.

Oh yea, didn't eat the bird, just buried it.
It looked like slim pickens to me. Damn, speaking of large dead birds, can't wait for Thanksgiving !

[This message has been edited by MusclesMcGee (edited November 24, 1999).]

Muscles, I saw in in a NRA mag that they send here so often-Wait here and I'll see if I can find it. (noise of man searching threw clutter to find magazine)

I'm back( breathing hard)

I was wrong, it was guns and ammo( I didn't buy it, some friend left it here, I hate that rag) August 99 issue, big section on air guns.

The 9mm only delivers 100 ft lbs, I was wrong on that also, but still about like a good 22lr. Pellet speed is over 900 fps.

Foriegn job made by Shin Sung in Korea. Nice looking from the picture.

An even better rifle is shown that I missed in this mag The stalker made in the UK.
Shoots a 147 grain 45 caliber pellet at 750fps for 183 ftlbs. that is lethal.
their web site is http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~targetts

By the way, reason I pointed out that these silent weapons can kill, is because silencer are outlawed or restricted.

My point is that a criminal will find a way to do the job, even if his tool of choice is taken away. I'm not trying to get people out shooting security lights or gaurd dogs.

------------------
The new guy.

"I'm totin, this pistol because my dang SKS won't fit in my holster"

[This message has been edited by Jimmie (edited November 25, 1999).]

If I notched the stock of my Sheridan for every rat it has taken out, it would become a handgun. I used to work in a store that backed up to a railway culvert. Semi weekly rat shoots were a part of the work schedule. I would shave a point on the 20mm pellet to aid penetration, give it 6 strokes and drop them where they lay. The Norfolk and Western railway would send "gassers" around twice a summer to gas the nests. Since rats are cannibles, and very prolific, all it did was make for a bunch of fat happy rats. Shooting inside the city limits of any kind was against the law, even with an air gun, but from time to time, local LEO's would cruise the alley and stop to ask the tally. Kinder gentler more sane era 25 years ago. The Sheridan still sits in the corner as a pest-remover if needed. By putting a point on the pellets with a razor blade, I could get a pellet to penetrate almost 2, 1" pine boards. Without pointing them, the pellets would only penetrate 1. That was with 10 pumps, 2 more than Sheridan says is max. I would say that I had close to 100% one shot kills on the rats, if I remember correctly. I hate rats, but I also don't like unnecessary suffering, even on a rat. If it hadn't put them down right away I probably wouldn't have continued shooting them. The only way toget rid of rats, something I found out many years later, is to remove their food source. Shooting them just adds food for the ones you don't get.

------------------
CCW for Ohio action site.
http://www.ofcc.net
Do what you C.A.N.

http://thematrix.acmecity.com/digital/237/cansite/can.html

Back