Pelican case for ammo storage?

spacecoast

I'm thinking of consolidating a lot of my reloads into an old surplus Pelican 1510 case (one with the automatic pressure equalization valve). It looks like it will hold 1500-2000 handgun rounds packed in cardboard boxes.

Good idea? Bad idea due to fire concerns? I know it will be heavy but this case has wheels and a handle, and is extremely strong.

Surplus might be cheaper, but Pelican is usually quite pricey.
Surplus ammo cans are usually cheaper for volume.
Load up that pelican case and it might be pretty hard to move. Pelican cases are tough, but loaded up with ammo it may not hold when moved. It probably would though.

http://www.govliquidation.com/Material-Handling.html
Might find some alternatives there. Assuming that isn't where you found the pelican. They often have a few of those.

Last edited:
Pelican is good stuff, but I'd be wary of one with auto pressure equalization.
Moist air gets sucked in & stays even as pressure changes push some back out.
I'd disable the valve & replace it with an "o" ring sealed screw myself.

Thanks guys, it's a well-used case I had sitting around after my son shipped some stuff home in it. I ended up putting a case of 7.62x39 in it, with room for other stuff if needed. I can still pick it up. It will stay in the house so I'm not worried too much about humidity.

Last edited:
Keep the pressure valve closed, and remove all interior foam and glue, if any.

I use one of these for camera lenses, have yet to see any humidity issues, such as fungus growing on internal elements.

I can't see the automatic valve being that sensitive to barometric pressure changes within a household, are the normal ranges that large that it would even actuate?

You'd be surprised.
I have a barometer on my watch & it can vary indoors simulating atmospheric pressure changes an equivalent of from 440 ft ASL (correct) to -20 feet or +1,200 feet.
If the valve doesn't actuate with that kind of range its useless or broken!:D
Humidity may be better controlled indoors though.

Back