peeps in low light

kcub

What to do? Have both eyes open? How'd they do it in WW2 on Tarawa when the Japs snuck up on their fox holes at night? They had Garands and M1 carbines with peeps and there wasn't much light if any.

Sledge

For some descriptive accounts of Marine combat in WWII, Sledge's book, "With the old breed" is a good one. He wrote another one too, but the title escapes me.

I just saw HBO mini series "The Pacific", like a marines "Band of Brothers". It was based in part on Sledge's book. Very good.

On Tarawa the troopies had grenades and MG's. Low light is one of the downsides to peep sights. Still way better than previous sights that disappear altogether. However, there are techniques where the sights are not used.
"The Pacific", like "Band of Brothers", is highly fictionalized. No Tarawa battle and "soldiers who were picked to return home to increase the sales of war bonds" is copied from a 1950's vintage movie. Forget which one.

I don't know about anyone else but the British simply flipped down the ladder sight with it's small aperture used for accurate long range daylight shooting & used the "ghost ring" Battle sight on the Lee-Enfields.
If you look at Singer type rear sights the "battle sight" apertures grew bigger & bigger over time. Once the hole hit about 6~7mm it was as big as the maximally-dilated iris of the shooter.

Last edited:
At the ranges the gun will likely be used in the dark, just shoot over top of them. Its just like shooting a handgun when you shoot over top of them, youve shouldered/presented the gun so many times in practice, youre just using a different index.

Peeps are great for "target" or more precise shooting in good light, not so much for other things. Ghost rings help, as does lots of "practical" practice, for when they arent the best.

They trained us to shoot over the top in the army, not much training, just one nite at very close range. I ended up in the Cav and we used machine guns, no sights, tracers.

Back