peep sight for my Winchester 94

gaseousclay

Can you guys list all the known companies that manufacture lever gun peep sights? I don't know that I want to rely on the buckhorn sights since my vision isn't what it used to be.

Right now I can only think of 3 companies: Lyman, Williams and Skinner.

Any others worth looking at?

Marble Arms Inc. makes a tang peep sight for the Winchester Model 94, Marlin 336 and Savage 99. They mount using the factory tang screw holes so no drilling is necessary.

Lyman sells a classic tang-mounted sight. I have one on a Savage 99, and it works very well. Per previous post, Skinner makes a receiver sight that is great. That one I have on a Miroku-made 1894, and I really like it. You might need a taller front sight with the Skinner.

I like peep sights, especially for lever-guns. The choice between receiver-mounted or tang-mounted, for me, comes down to esthetics. On a vintage rifle with well-worn bluing, I want an older tang sight that's also silvery looking, probably Lyman. For a modern Marlin Cowboy with vintage style but looking new, I would go with a new Marble's tang sight and let them wear together. Without the vintage looks I would lean towards the Skinner sights if it's a Marlin; or if it's a Winchester I'd be looking at a Lyman receiver sight.
How old does your Winchester look?

Last edited:
My Winchester 94 is an XTR variant from the early 80’s, so it’s been well taken care of by the previous owner. I don’t even know if it’s ever been used to be honest. I haven’t even used it myself because ammo is scarce and I’m trying not to use what I have just yet.

But I digress. I’ll take another look at the Lyman receiver sight as that seems to be my only option. I like the Skinner but I’d have to tap and drill the receiver which I’m unwilling to do

I think that by the time yours was made, Winchester was drilling and tapping the left side of the receiver at the factory as standard procedure to fit a receiver sight such as offered by Lyman and/or Williams. If so, there should be a pair of small holes with filler screws in the upper rear corner of the left side of the receiver.

Quick story... my dad invested in some Commemorative Model 94's back in the early 70's. When he passed, my brother and I both received one of those guns. I got the Teddy Roosevelt and he got the Lone Star. Both are beautiful... and come with 26" barrels. Both are un-shot.... not a single bullet through them.

Well, we got the wild idea that we wanted to honor dad and take these 94's on a hunt this coming fall. We are still trying to work that out... maybe Buffalo... maybe Audad... we shall see.

Anyway, stumbling on this thread really got me to thinking that I want to add a peep to my 94. I really like the idea and the look of the Marble Arms Tang. Just has an "old school" look and would probably be better for shooting at longer ranges is my guess.

Any thoughts or comments?

5pBOS80.png

Last edited:
@Wildernesshunter
I think a Marble Arms tang peep sight would look great on your rifle. I have a Savage 1899 in .303 Savage dated to 1909 with a same vintage Marbles tang sight mounted on it.
I also have a Winchester "NRA Commemorative" Sporting rifle in 30-30 WCF that has a Lyman 66A receiver sight mounted to it. Both have enabled me to take game efficiently.
I call these hunts "nostalgic hunts", as I don't need the latest high power scope mounted on the current "Thunderbolt" magnum rifle to take game.
Gary

The Marble's tang sight is adjustable for windage but the Lyman version is not. I have both and like them equally. With the Lyman sight, windage adjustments are accomplished by drifting the front sight and/or shimming one side of the sight base. You probably would be happier with the Marble's. The convenient windage adjustments make it worth the higher price.

Received the Williams and got it mounted. It's going to the range on my next visit.

This 40 year old gun will have its first round shoot.......

L62IZJ6.jpg

bZBSQQ3.jpg

I’m firm believer in peep sights. I have them on most of my woods deer rifles. I like the Lyman’s and Williams receiver sights. I have 4 old Win & Marlin levers and 3 JM Marlins all with receiver sights. I’m not a stump hunter so although I have a few Lyman & Marble tangs I don’t like them for use on running game. They interfere with natural grip and can tear off an eyebrow on snap shot with heavy caliber.
Unless you are going to actually use the sight as intended there is no reason to buy expensive target type adjustable. The best receiver sight for the buck in this bracket is the
Williams 5D. Sight it in and leave it. I think Shinner and other ghost ring type are over priced and bigger than they need to be. They are also type to sight and leave alone. Williams also makes guide series that uses rear scope screw holes. All these sights will accept standard apertures. I do use the Williams Twilight aperture to hunt, I got an old Target aperture with big disk and pin hole that I use to sight rifle in. You can then change aperture all you want with out relighting. The center of all holes, regardless of size is exactly the same.
The peep sights do improve poor vision to a point. Experts say they draw your eye into focus
Involuntarily.

Two myths regarding peep (aperture) rear sights......

The aiming eye automatically ......

* focuses on the front sight.

* centers the front sight in their aperture.

Back