Peek-a-Boo, I See You (and what you're doing and who you're with!)

• Thread starter Thread starter .
  • Start date Start date

Excerpt from:
FEDtechnology.com
The FREE Weekly Technology Email Newsletter
for Federal and Military Managers and Employees

Monday, November 8, 1999

TECHNOLOGY TO DETECT PEOPLE BEHIND WALLS
The Air Force has awarded a contract to develop
technology to detect people behind walls. Valued at
$744,857, the contract was awarded to Stiefvater
Consultants of Marcy, NY. The contract, awarded under
the Small Business Innovative Research program, is
basically to develop technology to detect living people
through walls - regardless of the materials used in the
construction of the walls. The technology, using portable
millimeter wave imaging radar for clear images, will
allow law enforcement personnel to monitor individuals
shielded behind various barriers.

And what, pray tell, does the Air Farce need with this? Groundpounders, OK, but when you're dropping stuff on people from 10K feet up, does it really matter if you can make out their moles and zits?

Of course the NSA, FBI, and BATF are gonna latch onto this.

------------------
"The right of no person to keep and bear arms in defense of his home, person and property,
or in aid of the civil power when thereto legally summoned, shall be called in question.."
Article 11, Section 13, CO state constitution.
----------
Coinneach, CO CAN Operator

It's so wonderful that our money is being spent on a high-tech "peeping tom" device. Gee whiz, if this technology does come about, do you think this could be perverted into something other than what it was originally intended for? YEP!

Flashback time: anyone else remember That One Scene in "Blue Thunder"?

------------------
"The right of no person to keep and bear arms in defense of his home, person and property,
or in aid of the civil power when thereto legally summoned, shall be called in question.."
Article 11, Section 13, CO state constitution.
----------
Coinneach, CO CAN Operator

I always thought the feds could do this all along. If I'm not mistaken they can use FLIR or ultaviolet lights to do the same thing now. Ask any drug dealer. *grin*

Joe

...and somewhere deep in the bowels of a non-descript edifice, two 20-something satellite imagery analysts argue:

"I'm telling you that the screw-heads on the license plate holder are actually left-hand threads, you can see the torque distortion on the slots from an improperly fitted screwdriver"

"You can't make the simple assumption that the movement of the metal from the screw-head slot is based on a counter-clockwise over-tightening; it's from trying to loosen the rusted right-handed threads of the screw"

Their 11-year-old, precocious genius supervisor walks up while hearing the diatribe, and remarks:

"You dorks printed the negative backwards again... look at the letters on the tag!"

[This message has been edited by Mykl (edited November 11, 1999).]

Mykl, excellent perspective. I still believe that for any intel device there is a new market for an anti device. Like the net which I think will treat all regulation as damage control and work around it, the same holds true for invasive technologies. The creative minds who come up with this stuff are not in some dungeon, they are out here with us, and it will be more difficult to contain technology in the future. Take encryption for example. No matter how the government pretends to regulate its export, it is out of the box and gone.

No wonder why the nuts wrap themselves in aluminum foil.

Didn't Robocop pull some BG through a wall?

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

One "unintended consequence" of winning the Cold War is that we have too much military with too much money and nothing real to spend it on. And an idle military is a gross temptation to politicians who want the people to conform - or else.

Jim

Back