Pedersoli Sharps & Rolling Block replicas

TLH

I'm considering buying a Sharps or Rolling Block replica. Does anyone have any experience with a Pedersoli Sharps or Rolling Block ?

I've had a Pedersoli Rolling block rifle for about 8 years now, it doesn't get a LOT of use except in June when a friend and I go to the Quigly Match in Montana. Mine shoots very well, looks great, and has had no problems. The only thing that I have mixed feelings about is the weight(approx 12 Lbs) but with a 30 inch full octagon barrel you have to expect a little heft. I've never fired any smokeless/jacketed loads from it so you're on your own there.

Hey Backwoods where is that shoot at in MT? My dad goes to those shoots. He has two Shilo-Sharps 45-70. I have seen many examples of the Shilo guns. They are worth the wait.

Later
Daren

FWIW, I have only dealt with one Pedersoli Sharps which a friend brought to me as the set triggers and the fly on the hammer were acting up. With some difficulty I got the necessary parts from Dixie and got it up and running again. However, when the owner came to get it I let him handle my 1979 vintage Shiloh by way of letting him find out for himself that he had a poorly made rifle. I have disassembled numerous original Sharps for conservation purposes for a museum and can tell you firsthand that NONE of the replicas--including Shiloh--have the same craftsmanship. One look inside tells the story. Some of the work done back in the 1800s makes you want to throw modern guns in the dumpster! That said, the Shilohs are well enough made, look good, and are a good rifle. Life is too short to own junk.

------------------

Robert- as I understand it the Shilo rifles pick-up were the originals left off. The parts as it has been explained to me from a Shilo will interchange in an original. What makes you think the original are that much better. I really am just wondering as I have been to the Shilo factory and they are for the most part hand made. Yes machines do a lot of the machine work and the last time I was there they were thinking about CNC. This was 7-8 years ago.

Later
Daren

The Quigley Match is held in Forsyth MT. The address for more information is: Matthew Quigley Buffalo Rfle Match, Forsyth Rifle and Pistol Club, Box 579 Forsyth Mt. 59327 The guy in charge is Al Lee, he's the club president(last I heard) and the match is shot on his ranch. About 320 shooters were there last year and it was a great weekend! The match is Fathers Day weekend(3rd full weekend in June) and starts at 225 yds and goes out to approx 800. Lots of Pedersoli rifles get fired there even though the Shiloh factory is in Big Timber MT, and they are well represented also. If you like that kind of thing it's a lot of fun, my shooting partner and I have been driving out from Ohio for the last three matches and are making plans for the next!

Now I know my dad has attended that match. My hometown is Broadus MT. Forsyth is only 150 miles away (Not far in MT)also my uncle owns a ranch in Forsyth. Did you ever meet the owners of the Shilo rifle factory, I know they occasionally shoot at matches, or used to.

Later
Daren

Mr. Thompson: I have taken down 25 or so original Sharps rifles in various conditon for what is called 'conservation' purposes and done a certain amount of 'restoration' on them. I do not claim to be a 'gunsmith' per se but am extremely familiar with them. Shilohs, as I mentioned, are very good rifles and as close to original as anyone can afford to build and buy today. (I have one--and have been to Big Timber two or three times now.) Nonetheless, they have investment castings and show those marks when stripped down. Labor costs in the 19th century were fairly low and skilled labor readily available. If you ever get a chance, look at a breechblock from a Spencer rifle and examine the quality of the work and the case colors which will probably still be there as the sunlight did not get a chance to affect it. To repeat, the quality of factory made firearms made between 1860 and WWII was usually much, much better than you will see today. Over the years we have been conditioned to accept products that our predecessors would not have put up with. Don't take my word for it--get someone to pull the lock on an original Sharps and compare it with any reproduction gun.

------------------

Robert, it's a lucky man who is approached by a museum to do conservation work. I'd do it for free to if one would ask me. Thanks for your insights.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Mr Foote,

I'd like to take advantage of your experience, if you'd honor me with your kindly indulgence. I'm considering purchasing a "Sharps" rifle in the very near future. Could you please include in your comparative assessment how the modern C. Sharps rate to the original Christopher Sharps, Shiloh Sharps, and the Italian reproductions among which are the Pedersoli?
Thank you in advance.

TLH: I have an original Remington Rolling Block #5 Carbine made in 1897 for caliber 7mm Spanish Mauser. It's a VERY strong action and extremely well manufactured. I'm considering having a spare barrel made for it in caliber .50-US Carbine. No particular reason for the latter, just a whim.

------------------
Mykl
~~~~~
"If you really want to know what's going on;
then, you have to follow the money trail."
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Robert- Thanks for the information. I am impressed!! I kinda thought maybey you were one of those guys who just said" They don't make'em like they used to" I have always thought Shilo made the best quality BPCR rifle available today and figured that modern technology had probably improved the rifle. Interesting.

BTW-I have seen other Sharps replicas(never an original)and I do feel the Shilo to be superior. However I do have a reason to be a little bias to the Shilo.

Thanks
Later
DAren

Back