Pedersoli "Sharps Carbine Civilian Model". Ever heard of it &...

Pond James Pond

... how does it compare to the Pietta .50 Carbine?

I gather both are these breech-loading style carbines, the DP being .45 and the Pietta a .50.

Aside from that, who do they stack up?

I expect the DP is going to be better quality, but over here the price is about the same.

Thoughts?

Never heard of a Pedersoli civilian carbine. The sporting models AFAIK are all rifle length. Are you asking about percussion guns or cartridge guns? Pedersoli percussion Sharp's are .54 caliber and the cartridge guns are variants of the .45. The only Pietta I am aware of is the Smith which is a breech loading percussion. Between Pedersoli and Pietta I would go with Pedersoli.

Well this Pedersoli is on a German website and appears to be the same system as the Pietta Smith: Open breech, drop in preloaded powder and bullet, close, recap and shoot.

I say this only because I have found those thick-walled BP cases with the firehole in the base in .45.

My confusion, as you noted is from the fact that the Pedersoli website only lists the .54 cal versions....

The Smith is a break open and the Sharp's is a falling block. You can get brass cartridges for the .54 Pedersoli.

Someone's (the German Website?) has got their terms/labels confused.

Sharps is, by definition, a falling block
Smith is likewise defined as a break-action

As far as I know, Pedersoli does not offer a break-action Smith

Smith: 50-caliber/25-40gr FFFg MAX (560gr bullet/950fps_ish)
Sharps: 54-caliber/Up to 85gr FFg (575-590gr Ringtail/1,100fps_ish)

Don't blame the website: I was just going by what I could see from the pictures. It's a breech-loader, but it now seems to match the description of this "falling block" from what I can see.

It's definitely listed as .45, though. Could that just a typo of .54? Possibly!

If it's THIS.... which appears to be an 1859/63 design loose-powder
45 caliber w/ a "Smithable" cartridge), I've never heard of one til now. (:confused:)

Any N-SSA'rs seen THESE before?
(for a Sharps)

Last edited:
First I've seen of a .45 paper cutter. I've seen the brass cases for Sharp's before but like the Smith cartridges they don't hold much powder. The Sharp's can be fired with loose powder but paper cartridges work best.

The pictured rifle is a Perdersoli Sharps Light rifle which is 22LR

Bottom of this link:
http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/tipologia-prodotti.asp/l_en/idt_63/rifles-1874-sharps-rifle.html

217S.759.jpg

http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/sch...17/rifles-1874-sharps-rifle-sharps-light.html

That 22 Sharps carbine would be a fantastic plinker . Falling blocks are in essence very strong .The Ruger and 1885 Browning can take almost any load ! Like my Miroku made 1885 in 45-70..:D

While mostly percussion Sharps are .54 ones, a Polish site does have on sale Pedersoli made Sharps rifles which are percussion, but are of .45 caliber and take modified (with a firehole in middle) 45-90 brass.

I emailed them about it, and these are apparently custom made for them on basis of a historical gun. It appears in Poland there are separate competitions for shooting "Sharps" rifles since they don't fall into normal muzzleloading guns.

Back