Pedersoli Double Rifle .50 cal

Antique Shooter

I recently purchased a Pedersoli Double rifle in .50 cal and was looking for some information regarding it. It was purchased by the original owner in 2006 if that makes a difference.

I was wanting to know what kind of projectile performs best with this type of gun, min and max charges of powder, and any other information anyone would like to share. Does anyone own one, if so do you like it?

Hopefully it will be accurate enough to hunt with, but for $150 I wasn't taking much of a risk. I am quite familiar with black powder firearms and own over a dozen rifles and pistols, but this will be my first experience with a black powder double rifle. Hopefully it is a good one.

Thanks,
Antique Shooter

Pedersoli Kodiak Double

I have a 50cal Pedersoli Kodiak Double that dates from about 2002. The twist is one in 48. Does real well with the shorter R.E.A.L. bullet and 85gr of 2f. Both barrels shoot to the same point of impact at 75yds. You got a great deal at $150.

Thanks for the info.

Any reason both of you guys suggest 2f powder over 3f? I have some 2f but never use it. I use 3f for everything from .36 cal revolvers to a .58 Zouave and never had a problem.

Antique Shooter

If it works, why not ???

Any reason both of you guys suggest 2f powder over 3f?
As usual, you have to work up your own shot-string and if 3-F works out for you, so be it. I prefer 3-F, up to and including .50. Quite a few of my BuckSkinner gang, shoot 3-F in their .54's. I don't own a .58 so won't speak to that !! .. :confused:

Be Safe !!!

The Break Point between 2/3Fg is 50 caliber.
It's a performance thing, not so much anything
associated w/ safety.

So as Pahoo notes:
It's whatever works best in a particular firearm

What is the equivalence of 2f to 3f? I mean is 90 grains of 3f also 90 grains of 2f? It is easy enough to figure out.

I would prefer to stick with 3f for everything so I will try that first. I also have plenty of .490 rb's so that will be what I shoot first.

Does a .490 prb over around 90 grains of 3f sound alright?

Also I did like the REAL bullets that someone mentioned, can you buy them or do you have to buy the mold. I pour other molds so that is not the problem, I would just hate to have them not shoot and waste money on the mold.

Antique Shooter

3f

many shooter will reduce the load some when using 3f over 2f Only sure way is to shoot to find your most accurate load

Back