PC-9 vs. Camp gun 9mm

Judge Blackhawk

I want a useless rifle, I mean I dont have a use for one but dang it I want one.

Does anyone have any experience with the Ruger PC-9 or the Marlin Camp gun in 9mm?

How do they shoot, are they tough. Which is better value?

Thanks Judge B.

No comparison on this one. The marlin camp 9 and their 45 cal of the same vintage were not one of their best works. Decent, but thats all. Just go hold either firearm and that alone will convince you. Close quarters firearms both. Ruger also has the .40 cal available too! Good luck.

I own a camp carbne in 9mm and I really love the darn thing. Ok, you can't take it deer hunting and its too big for a holster, but shoot it a few times and you will have to have one.

The Camp Carbine shoots like a .22 on steroids. In South Florida, they are handy for defending homesteads and livestocks from free-roaming dogs, racoons, etc. Mine is accurate enough to break clay pigeons on the 50 yard line with ease.

Conclusion: for varmint control, plinking, and defense, I like the camp carbine. I just won't take it deer hunting with me!

I've fired both types. Two 9mm and a .45 acp Camp Gun. And a Ruger PC9. I bought a Ruger PC9. It is the more reliable and more accurate compared to the Marlins I fired.
A small sampling, but this was my experience.

Neil Casper

I got a Marlin Camp 9 recently for a very good price ($230). Since it was just a "fun" purchase and the price diff between it and the PC9 is rather substantial, the camp got the nod.

I like it a lot. My boys really have a ball with it. Like Chad said, a .22 on steriods.

Its a fun gun, but I don't know that I'd recommend it for home defense, if that's what you have in mind.

It has "stovepiped" (I think that's the right term) several times -- with cheapo CCI ammo I think -- but then, I haven't cleaned it since I got it (couldn't wait)! However, it didn't have that problem with the cheapo Lawman ammo I tried recently.

One thing, though: the guy I bought the gun from said he got a good deal from his distributors because Marlin was discontinuing the Camp carbines. I had heard that rumor at a gun show before he told me but I didn't know if it was true or not. Still don't, actually. Just thought you'd like to know.

------------------
Wound ballistics is the study of effects on the body produced by penetrating projectiles:
Wound Ballistics

Great daily commentary from a thoughtful Christian perspective:
Daily Commentary

I recently purchased a Camp-9 and I really like it. It shoots great and I can take it to my indoor range during these chilly winter months. I am really a pistol fan but I just had to have one of these cool little carbines. It's a real hoot. I just got a Wilson peep site from TFL's Kernel and I will be taking the Marlin out tomorrow to try it out. Even the lovely Mrs. loves to shoot this rifle. I have not seen the Ruger but I know that it is more expensive. My Camp was only 245.00. I would buy another one in a heartbeat and I may have to if my bride takes this one away like she did my G19!
Mike

------------------
"Freedom is not free"

Back