Paybacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

turkeestalker

The 9th of this month was my life long friend and shooting buddy's 55th birthday. We met as young teens when his father was a deacon in a small country church that my father pastored here in Missouri. We pretty much grew up together, fishing, hunting, learning life's lessons.
We still get together a couple of times a month typically, to share a gun show, take our sons to the shooting range and so on.

He got on a kick a few years back of vintage 22 rifles and has accumulated a few, with a special fondness for ones with original factory or at least period correct peep sights on them.
One that he has spoken of often and searched for without success is a Mossberg 320B, the Boy Scout Rifle.
He loves to share stories of his expert marksmanship as a Boy Scout at camp when he lived near Chicago before we met.

I found one on GB and was the sole bidder, that from the photos was in very good condition and I purchased it for him for his birthday. It's condition proved to be even better than I had expected, hardly a handling mark on it, just a little thinning in the bluing as you'd expect, zero rust and perfect bore.
It even has the remnants of a sticker on the butt stock that reads Flossmoor JRC. Junior rifle club maybe? I don't know, but for him that was just icing on the cake.

If I had to describe his reaction, I would say that he was as giddy as a school girl about it, but then he'd probably knock a knot on my head and dare me to rub it for saying such a thing.
I will say that when we went shooting on Saturday the 10th, he was grinning like a crack shot kid at Boy Scout Camp and for me that was priceless, you just can't put a value on it.

So... what goes around comes around. That day at the range a stray dog showed up, ribs showing acting lost, bewildered, and very hungry. Some kind of Redbone mix, just a little short in the ears maybe. Collar with no tags, and none of the local or regulars at the range recognized it.
We had my youngest son with us so no way no how were we going to be able to leave the range without the dog, which had already stuck to him like glue.
Kid can bat those brown eyes and stick that lower lip out just like his mother used to... gets me to do all kinds of things I wouldn't usually even consider.

We headed to the local animal shelter once we got home and the dog is microchipped. Led to a rescue shelter in Georgia, which led to an adoption place in Florida. They've had no luck reaching the owners and are waiting now on response to a certified letter that they sent, but they aren't optimistic and their policy will not allow them to share any information with me directly. Looks like we may have a dog much to the cat's disgust, but I'm not banking on it just yet, just maybe hoping a bit.

He doesn't seem too terribly concerned about getting back to where ever he came from which is evident in this photo.

attachment.php

If someone is looking for him I'll do my level best to get him home to them, but a part of me is hoping that he gets to stay where he is now, with us.

This guy was born to squirrel hunt. He's on them like stink on you know what when I let him out and he trees them well, just doesn't sound off. I'm thinking it won't take much to train him as he's still young. The woman at the adoption place says just a year and a half old, and from what I can tell he's not been worked with at all, it's just innate behavior.

If I wind up with a good squirrel dog here, that will bring back memories from my youth that I hold very dear, almost priceless.

Paybacks maybe, never know.

Attachments

• Logan.jpg
    Logan.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 477
A very good story! Funny, interesting, and a surprise ending. Good job on the rifle and the dog. Looks like he is comfortable in his new home. Good luck.

I certainly hope it works out for you. I am happy for the big loveable dog and your family.

We have three rescue dogs. The latest is a Blue Tick Hound. The problem is he has been diagnosed with heart worm. He is undergoing treatment which requires keeping his heart rate down. As the treatment begins to destroy the worms, there is the danger or risk of pieces of the worms causing an embolism and death. The treatment is on the expensive side, but he is worthy and about the same age as hopefully your new squirrel dog.

One of our other rescue dogs is a Walker Coon Hound. The two love to hunt, and he is now restricted until about the end of the year. We have over 1200 acres of wood on one side of us and a 40,000 + acre lake on the other side. It is coon dog heaven.

All three of our dogs were discarded or dumped by, in my view. sorry a-holes.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

I took him to my vet on Tuesday, no heartworms (whew), and started him on the preventative. He does however have a tick born virus which may or may not produce symptoms at some point in time. Going to wait a bit before getting it treated on the advice of the doc.
I'll keep my fingers crossed for your Blue Tick's recovery.

A great find, both the rifle and the dog.
I once inherited a stray like that who had been abandoned in our neighborhood.
A Shepard-Collie mix.
Best dog ever.
Hope you get to keep him.

He does however have a tick born virus which may or may not produce symptoms at some point in time. Going to wait a bit before getting it treated on the advice of the doc.

Same advice my local vet has given me about the positive Lyme's disease test from my 5 year old GWP. She was diagnosed to have the Borrelia infection a few years back but I was advised to not treat her until she displayed real symptoms of Lyme's. Seem counterproductive to me, but the vet claims she may never come down sick, it could take a decade or just a few months.

Good luck with the new dog...it looks right at home in the pic. You know what they say about letting a dog on the furniture........

I hope it does work out for you. Angels can be found in different places. We all know where one is. I believe he has a great home. If he were mine I would be worried sick about him. We have cats, dogs, and one parakeet and before bed I have to know that each is inside. Of course all are inside but if I can't find one I have to search the house until I find them. Others who do not understand just call them animals or pets, to those who do understand they are family. Ours are and I imagine to you he will soon be if not already. I'll pray it works out for you and for him.

Seem counterproductive to me, but the vet claims she may never come down sick
It has to do with the risks of treatment and the expected life span.
It would be different if the patient were you instead of your dog.
Your vet is hopefully the expert.

Dang man that thing looks like a horse.;)

Really an awesome story and it sounds like your buddy has a pretty good friend. I too fondly remember shooting at Boy Scout camp. My parents would give me a little money to spend and I rationed it out each day for one small box of .22lr and a heath bar ice cream. For a young teen it was pure heaven shooting guns, eating ice cream and sleeping in the woods what more could you want.

It has to do with the risks of treatment and the expected life span.
It would be different if the patient were you instead of your dog.
Your vet is hopefully the expert.

The standard treatment for early Lyme is doxycycline. A antibiotic that has been safely used in dogs and humans for many years. It's inexpensive and very effective, especially against early Lyme. The risk level from treatment is almost zero, other than allergic reaction. Chronic or late stage Lyme tho is much harder to cure and many claim it never is really cured once symptoms present themselves. This is why waiting until symptoms develop seems counter-productive, to me. My vet has once saved this dog from the brink of death, so I'm goin' with her recommendations, this time.

Just for reference, this is the third dog I have had that has had Lyme. One was diagnosed years ago(20) when it came up lame. It was treated immediately and seemed to recover completely. Next dog was about ten years ago and was diagnosed before symptoms appeared by a blood test. It too was treated immediately and never displayed symptoms. My son's house dog is presently undergoing treatment for Lyme after displaying symptoms two weeks ago. I myself have had Lyme and have been told the night sweats/chills I get along with the joint pain I suffer with is probably Lyme related. So......I know a little bit about Lyme.

Good on you for saving a hound, not everyone treats them like they deserve to be treated, they love to hunt, I had one lazy black and tan, but only one, the only papered hound I ever had, he could trail anything just didn't care to, he would trail my other hound though when needed. he was a big ol lazy guy 110 lbs worth. Some believe if you treat them as a pet they wont hunt, that's a load of crap. There is a great coonhound rescue group out there. American Black and tan coonhound rescue cuz you're going to want another. Thanks for saving him

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back