Pawnshop Marlins

slow944

I stopped by a pawnshop out in Garland, TX this afternoon and saw a couple of Marlin 336's in 30-30. Both were pre-lock. I remember the first 3 #'s of the serial # on one of them. They are 220. Anybody know what year this was made? May have to go back and get 'er

100-22 = 88 *1988

I believe safeties were added in 1983. The 336 was not introduced until 1948 so it can not be a 1883

I think iamdb's method is the more accurate of the two with the exception that 100-22 would be 1978. I didn't really trust the 1883 date very much!

iamdb: I often tell friends that I NEVER NEVER make mistakes like that.... I usually make my mistakes when no one is looking, that way I have full deniability about it. LOL

I thought I was wrong once,

but I was mistaken.

Thanks for the Marlin lookup page. My old 336 has been in one family member or another's gun cabinet since I can remember. It's the first gun I ever toted in the deer woods, and now I know it's from 1969. My grandpa bought it new (he couldn't remember if he got it new, but he remembered that he bought it before my mom graduated college in 1970) and it's three years older than me.

That bit of info made my evening.

Back