Pawn Shop Pearls

9x19

So, there I am, out pawn shoppin' today.

I'm seeing all the usual stuff in the handgun cases; Stars, Llamas, Lorcins (you know, the quality stuff). ;)

I look up at the rifle rack behind the counter and there is an open brief case sitting back there. I'm pretty sure I know what it is, but I ask anyway. Sure enough, it's a Dan Wesson Pistol Pak in .357, an older gun made in Monson, Mass., and in most excellent condition, blued by someone who knew what they were doing... gorgeous in other words.

It had four barrels; 2.5", 4", 6" and 8", plus the tool, feeler guage, extra front sights, and three grips, but no belt buckle (I can live without that.).

Priced at the princely sum of $350. Now, I needed another .357 'bout like ArmySon needs another 1911, or K-Frame needs another... K-Frame. Since I was so un-interested, he let it go for $300 plus tax, that's $324 out the door... I took it, just to help them out, you know? :D

So, how was y'all's day?

You would have been CRAZY not to

have taken i!:eek: I mean, if I come across a $250 Glock that's ANIB, I'm OBLIGATED----right? :D

I've had a spotted past with Dan Wessons. I owned a blued 4" 15-VH that was original 'Dan Wesson Arms' made. Later, in my "It's gotta be stainless" days, I traded it off for a (after Dan passed) 'Wesson Arms' 6" 715-VH, and that thing wasn't half the gun the original 15 was.

I'm happy to have another original, and this one is the 15-V model which I've come to appreciate more as I get older... those full length lugs do get heavy! :)

VL, did you find a Glock for $250? ;)

The pawn shop pearls that I see usually wind up being plastic imitations. :(

I only WISH I could be so lucky

I was only making a point. When you come across something like that priced roughly 1/2 its actual worth, it is your civic duty as a responsible citizen to rescue it.:D

I just saved two N-frames from a pawn shop with young, brash employees who have no respect for guns older than they are.:mad: A nice deal, IMO, but certainly nothing to write home about like your catch.:)

Does any pawn shop that will accept a gun have to be a FFL dealer?

Just wondering whether if I find a good buy at a pawn shop, I might have to make the transfer using a real gun dealer.

As far as I know, if a pawn shop is going to do business with firearms, it has to hold a valid FFL. The only way around an FFL is for private party sales between two individuals in the same state (where not prohibited by law).

9by19, you are a good shopper. It takes nerve to see a tremendous buy and STILL ask the seller to drop the price.

Drakejake

That's a great deal!
Especially compared to the fact that I'm about to plunk down close to a grand for one of those new PerfCenter M17's.
Yeah, like I really need another K-frame, but jeez, that gun's so pretty I can't pass it up.
fe400f57.jpg.orig.jpg

:)
-Kframe

Et tu, K-Frame? :) One of these days you'll learn to NOT open any thread started by SmithNut... :D

It is purty, although I just never did like the rib-less barrels. {shrug}

9x19,
You're right, if only I hadn't opened that thread!
Seriously, that was one helluva an itch, and I just hadta scratch.
Oh well, it'll be worth it.
Now I just have to wait a week for it to make its way to my grubby little hands!
It's agony I tell ya.

The ribless barrel has a definite "retro" look, it simply cannot be mistaken for anything current.
Plus, on the .22, there is so much metal in the barrel, that the missing rib actually aids the balance.
Another thing, is that that very high sight blade sticks up like a thumb, so fast DA shooting, such as can rolling, is easily tracked.
Definitely not a concealment piece though! ;)

I'm kinda going through a retro/art-deco phase, as far as my taste in guns and stuff, and I've really come to prefer the round butt gripframe for most shooting.

Man, all this talking has got me wishing it was next week already.
Grrrrrrr.

:) -Kframe

Screaming deals are at pawn shops (sometimes)....

They're out there but usually you've gotta have lots of perseverance.

I bought a like new Marlin 883 .22 mag clip fed laminated stock 99% condition for $90 with scope and sling. They were asking $120 and I talked them down to $90 including tax (I have NO shame).

Unfired Russian SKS for $120.

Like new Savage 110 .223 for $225 (with scope, case & sling).

Passed on a perfect Browning Citori Sporting Clays with leather case for $850 (didn't have the money at the time).

It's like buying stuff at flea markets, auctions or yard sales. You gotta wade thru a lotta junk to find the gems.

Oh, you ALWAYS ask what their best price is. Don't be a brat, just ask politely. They'll almost always come down some, and sometimes a lot. You'll probably have to make 50 stops minimum to get a deal like this one, but when you do it's way fun.

Bargains be where ya find 'em.

Good hunting..in the field or the stores.

Sistema Colt in PERFECT condition for $199. The guy said "I gotta warn ya that not a real colt it's from Argentina." ;)

Gee I think I can make do with "Not a Real Colt."

:D

Good job on the buy.

You've always got to be on the lookout or you'll miss it and some bozo who has no clue but hey I can afford that response as they snap it up.

Back