Pawl modification for Howell 5 shot Conversion Cylinder in Uberti 1858

I had issues with a Howell 5 shot 45 Colt in an Uberti 1858 - the pawl was not picking up the cylinder. Here's some photos of the modified pawl - the face that contacts the backstrap was ground and polished slightly to allow the pawl to protrude a bit more, and an angle was ground on the pawl itself so it engaged close to the cylinder retaining / rotating pin. See pictures. Oh, when making the angle grind on the tips of the pawl I used a dremel with a grinding wheel and worked fast so it would heat up then I immediately quenched it in water.

159301817.mCvcMN7q.jpg

159301821.01hbtt3P.jpg

It now works with both the Howell 5 shot conversion cylinder and the original cap and ball cylinder. Suggest you buy a spare pawl before making any mods as once you grind the metal away it's a bit more of a challenge to put it back on. :D

Cool picture! A dotco! (the grinder's name in an different industry). Yikes. Slip with your fingers and the little parts like pawls and such will be put in low earth orbit. ;-)

Normally I would have hand finished it but did want to heat treat it a bit to harden it and didn't want to use a torch as the spring was right next to it. A Chrysler slant six cylinder head was ported using that dremel and a bigger rotary grinder last Fall - took tens of hours and gave good practice. Would have butchered the pawl with a Dremel if used earlier last year.

spacecommander

The hand (pawl) on Remington and Colt revolvers is made of mild steel so it will not harden. That is as it is supposed to be because the hand is a wear part rather than the cylinder.
You got lucky using a grinder that it works with both cylinders and carries both to lockup. This job is best accomplished with files and test fit so that a minimal amount of metal is removed. What you are doing is removing metal so that the hand which with a six shot picks up the ratchet tooth at 240 degrees now with a five shot picks it up at 216 degrees but can still carry the six shot cylinder to lockup.

Last edited:
It's not the tool that's good or bad, it's the guy using it.
As the old saying goes, "A poor craftsman blames his tools."
So true.

Back