patch lube

I soak my patches is a melted mix of veggie shortening (crisco) and olive oil, equal parts per volume of each.

I use Murphys oil soap ...it`s cheap , and works as well as anything I`ve tried ...Walmart sells it for 3 bucks a quart .

I use TC Bore Butter or it's equivalent by Traditions, Wonderlube.

I get confused about which to call it, so I've nicknamed it "WonderButter". :D

arcticap said:
I use TC Bore Butter or it's equivalent by Traditions, Wonderlube.

I get confused about which to call it, so I've nicknamed it "WonderButter".

Same here but I don't call it Wonder Butter..:rolleyes:

HEY want the best, well here it is, crisco and bees wax;)
all you guys have been misled, do not settle for anything
less. Have a nice day.:D

Ox Yoke (Now Traditions) prelubed wonder patches that have been marinated in Hoppes #9+ BP solvent. 30 or so patches in an empty cap tin with a tespoon or so of Hoppes. Let em sit for a day or two before using. The patches end up being damp/moist but not dripping wet. The wet/lubed patch cleans the barrel as you ram the ball. I can load and shoot all day at an aggregate match (50+ rounds) with the last ball loading as easily as the first.

BTW - I'm using a Pedersoli Deluxe Tryon Rifle in .54 Cal. This was also my loading procedure for a CVA Hawken that I had and a Waldron Rifle Works Pennsylvania flintlock in .50 Cal.

OK - added 1830 hrs - Cleanup is with Hoppes#9+ that's all I use on my front stuffers - lube is Remoil. Now, if your talking C&Bs or BP cartridge guns, then its water and Balistol to clean and Balistol to lube

Last edited:
OK now ask what liquid we use for cleaning ..LOL ...I think we will all agree at some point hot water ...but from there , many things ...as many as there are stars in the sky . Ain`t it great , everyones ideas will work ..if they didn`t we wouldn`t use them ..and then there`s oiling ..

I like reading posts like this to see just how may different combinations can be found. I think that I may put a book together on all the different answers I have seen on all of he websites about what to use for powder, lube, cleaning, etc. It would probably rival the new English dictionary!:D

Back