Passed then failed TN background check...

schott1984

Inactive
New member, hi all!

I know there is one other post like this and it went no where.

Moved to TN from IL the past summer. Didn't own a gun until yesterday when I purchased an old Marlin M60 at a local pawn/gun. Passed the background check, got my rifle.

Went home ate lunch, went to wal-mart to buy the camo Remington 870 I've been eying for turkey season. Check came back failed and they don't know why and I have an appeal form to fill out and fax in.

I have had my prints ran and FBI background check for clearance at work, and only thing questionable was a "damage to property under $600" charge back in 2002. Not a violent offense, no other things that could be a problem.

Anyone have any insight into why I failed when I passed earlier the same day? Is there some limit in TN how many times you can be run in a day? Maybe because I owned no firearms and then tried to buy two at two different dealers?

I'm going to fax the form in tomorrow, but according to this: http://www.tbi.state.tn.us/firearm_check/firearm_faqs.shtml
It sounds like I won't get much insight into the problem, they may just change their decision and let walmart know I'm good to go.

Anyone have experience with this?

Two things that help on the 4473:

1) Social Security number -can ID you from someone else with a common name

2) A unique personal identification number (UPIN)

Route 2 is usually used when people don't like having their SSN floating around out there. There should not be a denial for someone making multiple purchases at different locations, let alone only two. AFAIK property damage should not bar someone from getting a firearm, considering the charge is more than 5 years old. (Maybe you sneezed funny and the NICS phone operator heard you :))

ETA: Some thought and one more question: were you just "delayed" or were you "denied" outright? There is a big difference.

Also, IANAL :)

guy at wally world said "denied", but he really didn't seem to know what he was doing. I'm mostly going to blame it on him/mis-communication and try again.

I faxed the appeal sheet this morning, but I dunno what I'm going to find out or what to do next really. I feel like if I contact the walmart to check for an update they're going to be useless.

How do you go about getting a UPIN? I did give them my SSN both times...

I'll reply when I find out more. In the mean time I found a private seller with a Benelli Nova 28" max-4 camo I bought for $340 today :)

Back