parts kit for a m1 garand?

bamafan4life

my father might buy a m1 garand barreled reciever that is completly stripped. how can u restore this firearm to original condition? would a m1 made from a parts kit have any collectivity at all? or should we get a parts kit make a stock look really nice and have all metal hot blued and just have it as a nice looking grand? if he does buy it and fixes it up hell probly keep it for the rest of his years. if a gun built from parts has any value of collector would it hurt it to have the crown cut to a target crown? and hes always wanted a grand and he and i like working on guns so this would be perfect for us. and last but not least were can u purchase parts/ parts kits?

Difficult to "restore to original condition", but not impossible. Comparatively few M1s are in original, as-new configuration, due to their military life. It's not reasonable to expect that anyone rebuilding the rifle would have said "I cannot use this stock, Sergeant. This is a Springfeild stock, and I am rebuilding a Winchester"

The parts should not be blued, hot, cold, or otherwise. They were given a phosphate finish typically called "Parkerizing". Doing things to the crown...not needed. The rifle will most likely be more accurate than you or your Pop can shoot it anyway. maing one from a kit...well, it depends on whether or not the parts are USGI, reproduction, who made what...it all depends

Without even getting to the parts you need, let's take a 'regular' complete M1 as an example

It's been through arsenal rebuild(s). Parts were changed. On an M1, what looks like serial numbers in many cases are drawing numbers. Some parts, like follower rod forks, were swapped out during WWII or just after. The parts that were removed were very seldom retained. My own M1 was made in 1944. It does not have several "original" parts anymore, and I am the very first civilian owner of that rifle. The missing "original" parts were removed and replaced by regulation at various times during military maintenance and/or rebuild

Another example on my own M1- the rear sight. Mine is post-war, and is, technically speaking, a superior sight to the original. That's why it was removed and replaced by the US government when it went through arsenal rebuild, like most were. The 'correct original type' sight will set me back 150-175 dollars

Your Pop won't have swapped out parts, but in order to have "correct original" parts, he's in the same boat as me- potentially paying a premium due to the scarcity of those parts. The follower rod fork is classic example; "short forks" are rare, while "long forks" are not. They do the same job but one is less prone to problems

A correct US Government issue stock with correct original cartouche stamps that are proper for his rifle... Well depending on what year the rifle was made, this will cost some dough, big bucks or maybe not so big bucks but still, original cartouches are very desirable

Try this link:

http://www.thecollectorsource.com/

This would be a process. I am doing some research beacause a guy wants to trade me one. Basically once you have your receiver the trick would be to find a Data sheet for that receiveror one that is close, at least one for a 0-3 period before of after it was built. The sheet list drawing and heat lot numbers that rifle and it's parts. The Garand has these numbers on all it's parts not the serial number like others. The trick would be finding the right numbered parts for that receiver. The more "correct" parts the more value the gun has. With the stock, if you couldn't find one with the correct stamps you would be beeter off using one not stamped than buying the "fake" stamps that are avaiable. It is expected that the stock may have been replaced. Putting these "fake" stamps in place would make the rifle suspect to anymore that knew better. There is a book. "The M1 Garand World War II" By Scott Duff He is consider the authority on M1's.

Should be able to get it into as-issued configuration with parts from here, there, and everywhere. However, that is all likely to cost you more than just getting a complete M1 Garand from the CMP. If your dad is a retired veteran, it is not going to be difficult to qualify.

what im talking about when i say original is having it standard usgi configuration not a complete winchester or springfield

Well, then just buy USGI parts :D

But it's not very difficult to have an all-Winchester or all-Springfield M1. The tough part is all the correct drawing numbers on those parts

I Agree If Its Just Gonna Be Your Dads Im Sure He'll Pass It Down To You And Im Sure You Want Get Rid Of It So Get Like A Universalo M1 Garand Or Something

"...any collectivity at all?..." Not now. Will 10 or 20 years from now.
"...hot blued..." That alone will cut the value. M1's were Parkerized, not blued. Less expensive to do or have done and a better finish too.
Building an M1 on a barreled receiver is not an inexpensive proposition either. In any case, before you or your da do anything, check out the barrel.
'U' is not a word.

Shotgun news of July 20, 2009 has a whole article by Reid Coffield on doing just that, building an M1 Garand from a kit/parts.
Actually, if I was going to do that, I think I would have the metal brite blued and a nice stained and urethaned stock on it. You're not really going to make a collector's piece from a parts kit anyway and I think it would look sharp, a conversation piece at the local range.

Another option

Instead of buying the barreled receiver why not just buy a Service grade M1 from CMP for $ 595.00, it will be alot cheaper in the long run.
If he already bought the barreled receiver, another option would be to buy a feild grade M1 from CMP for $ 495.00. If the barrel and receiver he bought is better than the one on the field grade, swap out all the parts and sell the barreled receiver you got from CMP. It will still be alot cheaper in the long run than buying all the parts seperate. http://www.thecmp.org/m1garand.htm

My $350 M1

Parts kit $99
Receiver from CMP $199
Labor and miss. bits like the butt trp kit and sling $50.
Shooting my first 400 match= priceless.

bkt149a.jpg

bkt155a.jpg

First 100 yard target.

bkt184a.jpg

Just do the CMP or go to a CMP shoot and ask around for an M1 for sale.

Cheers
...MJ...

696_pic_1.jpg

'06 Sacramento fair grounds

Cheers and have a nice day.

..............MJ.............

Last edited:
Not being a wise butt at all. Just dont want anyone to get the wrong idea by your post that you can buy Garand part kits for $99.00

XXX

Thank you for policeing me, I will keep that information to myself. It's the receivers I have run out of I have only one left.

Last edited:
Receivers are esay to find $100.00 a pop with a barrel attached although it may be a tomato stake

Last edited:
Back