parts for older west german sig 220

puppyface

are the springs and rolls pins that are available for newer p 220's compatible with the older west german made 220's? (stamped steel slides, euro mag release).

Depends on which spring and pin, but generally most of them will be. My agency issued p220s for a total of 15 years. We had stamped slide German stock, along With milled slide newer sigs. By and in large, parts were interchangeable. We never had any heel mag releases, btw, but that doesn’t mean we didn’t have stamped slide German models. I know I carried one. It would rust in a few hours on a damp night unless it was oiled up pretty well.

Coincidentally, nearly 90% of parts between the p220 and p227 are interchangeable. My current 227 just isn’t as accurate as my old 220 was though. Neither one were the most accurate pistols I’ve ever shot.

Some are and some aren't, the newer machined slides don't have the same two piece roll pins for the breech block. The trigger group was also changed in the mid 90's to make them to be able to convert to DAO. The trigger return spring was always a weak link in the older 220s and that was changed as well.

"newer P220's"

Not sure exactly how "new" to which we are referring. My understanding was that "newer" P220's all have milled slides, and take solid, knurled, one piece breechblock pins like the rest of the "newer" milled slide P series. To the best of my knowledge, there are no "new" stamped P220 slides. If SIG is still selling replacement 2 piece roll pins, they are no doubt for (all) the older stamped slide pistols.

The trigger return springs are easily told apart. The older pattern were crescent/half moon shaped. The newer pattern are more L-shaped, and have a circular center portion. I do not believe they are interchangeable but could be mistaken. I would definitely be replacing a trigger return spring on any older SIG P series, ESPECIALLY a heel mag release version, as that indicates an early model for sure.

BTW, the solid, one piece pins for the milled slides DID come in different diameters, and the knurl patterns were a bit different too. SIG apparently changed the hole diameters in the slides of the milled pistols by just a wee bit. You could beat and beat on one but not get it to seat if it was the wrong type. I had to keep both pin sizes in stock, and noted which pistol (by serial number) took which pin (old or new style) in my log book.

Call Sig and ask.

tipoc
I have to say, I've done this. They didn't know lol. They use serial numbers to look up parts for the firearms. They told me that they can't look up the German SIGs anymore, just US production. So you can give them the serial number but they can't do anything with it. It's kind of amusing if it isn't a bit sad.

In my experience the newer recoil springs and newer roll pins won't work. You can still find some of the old ones, and I'd recommend buying multiples. There was a seller of the double roll pins on eBay. I bought two, installed one and it worked fine, if it wasn't a bear to install.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I've had mixed luck with Numrich but they're certainly a source. I'm aware it's a common gun (not sure I implied elsewise), but I do find parts less available than some years back, hence why I recommend grabbing two.

Roll pins. This was the cheapest I found when you consider the shipping is free. And it did work for me. https://www.ebay.com/itm/INNER-and-...P228-P226-P220-CARBON-SLIDE-NEW-/292558972233

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I saw a Sig Parts Kit on the net that consists of replacement springs grips screws and some roll pins for about 30 dollars.

Back