Parkerized guns.

Mike38

When guns get parkerized, is the bore plugged so the solution doesn't enter the bore, or is it dipped, and the bore also gets coated? Reason I ask is because I bought a Rock Island Armory M200 revolver and I can not get the bore clean. It looks clean by looking down the bore, but when I run a wet with Hoppes patch down it, the patch comes out black. I run a bronze brush down the bore 10 or so times, then a patch, and it's black, real black, even after 20 or 30 repeats of this cleaning procedure, (200 to 300 strokes of the brush) it still comes out black, but it is slowly getting better.

I would think parkerizing the bore would ruin accuracy, or am I wrong? Will the black junk I'm getting out go away after firing a couple boxes of ammo? Thanks.

I wouldn't think Hoppes attacks parkerization, so the black stuff is probably something else. Yes shoot it and see how it goes. Let warranty takes care whatever issues come up.

When cleaning the bore, I tend to let the chemicals do the scrubbing. Boretech eliminator. Nylon brush as applicator, not scrubbing tool. Wet the bore and let it sit for 15min and patch. Repeat till the cow comes home.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I think I mentioned that I had a Colt SAA completely refinished by the factory and it never shot well again.
Used to cloverleaf the holes.
When I got it back it shot 5"groups.

(I did hear that it would have cleared itself but I sold it maybe too soon.) :confused:

Shotgun barrels can be parkerized inside the bore, Kel-Tec does on their KSG and KS7 shotguns.

Rifled barrels cannot be parkerized in the bore.
The Parkerized finish is one that builds up on the surface and would cause the bore to be undersized.
Firing it could easily cause a blown barrel or damaged action.

When Parkerizing a rifled barrel the bore must be plugged.

Mike38,

Polish a piece of bronze (or any other metal) with a little metal polish on a rag, and the more you rub, the blacker the rag gets. This is actually metal particles randomly oriented such that they trap light. Sometimes, if you hold the rag at an oblique angle to bright light, you can see the more familiar color of the metal reflected a little. In any case. I expect your bronze brush rubbing the bore is rubbing a little bronze in it, depositing the dark smudges you are picking up. If so, use of a patch wet with Bore Tech Eliminator or one of the ammonia-based cleaners, let it sit a minute, and it will patch out blue.

If you are shooting wadcutters, or any other lead bullet, you could also have some lead coating the bore. This will come out dark gray on dry patches. If you have lead, you want to use a penetrating cleaner like Gunzilla and wet the bore with it and let it sit overnight before brushing. Better than a brush, wrap a few strands of pure copper Chore Boy scouring pad around a 22 bore brush to make a copper bore scraper, and go after it with that.

I guess I'm going to quit cleaning and just shoot it tonight. The darkness of the patches is getting lighter than at first. I am surprised at how nice the bore looks. For an inexpensive revolver, I expected to see some chatter marks from rifling, but there are none. I plan on carrying this handgun in my Jeep, not caring too much if it gets a scratch or two on the finish. I sure as heck would care if I scratched the finish on my S&W, but the RIA not so much. Thanks for the replies!

Back